Keyhole cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, I was looking for stocking suggestions for my thirty gallon tank, and was wondering if a keyhole cichlid would work. If not, are there any cichlids you would recommend? It needs to be good around other fish, including orange laser cories and black skirt tetras. German blue rams also look cool... Any information on them?

A pair of keyholes, rainbow cichlids, or rams are all good options for a 30 gallon tank.

Ram's need higher temps than most other fish, and they're uber-sensitive to water quality. I have some Australoheros oblongum juvies available. They're very mellow fish, even a spawning pair is fine in a 30 with Cory cats and tetras.

Hmm... I think I'll get the tank started off with all the fish listed above and then add one or two keyholes. And I suppose after I get the tank settled in for a few months, I'll try out a ram in there and see how it does. Does this sound ok? Should i get two rams... Or would one do ok? And thanks for the offer though, and the advice! (and who knows... I could come down with a serious case of mfs and take you up on that offer!) ;)

I wouldn't recommend keeping more than one species of cichlid in a 30 if you plan on having a pair. A couple of singles (of different species) might be alright, but I'd still go with something other than a GBR. The black tetras in particular wouldn't appreciate the warmer water, they're actually fine at room temp. Not sure about the Cory cats, some species are more tolerant of warmer water than others, best to check on them.
If you want a pair of keyholes it's best to start with 5-6 little ones, grow them out together, then swap off the extras after they pair up. Keeping 2 males together in a relatively small tank will result in one being stressed by the dominant male.
Cichlids tend to argue more with others (particularly rival males) of the same species.

So what if I just got one keyhole? That sure seems like it would make life easier... Since my lfs doesn't do swaps or carry keyholes, so i will have to buy online. And I don't really want fry anyway, just happy fish and a good looking tank.

You could do a keyhole with a ram if you wanted. Rams do prefer warmer temperatures, but this really isn't much of a concern if your not breeding them. They'll do just fine if you keep the tank in the mid 70Fs.

If you were keeping wild caught or F1 rams you would want to maintain a higher temp. But most tank bred & raised fish will be very tolerant of different water parameters.

Also, if you did want to do a pair of keyholes instead you wouldn't have to grow out fry. While this is the cheaper and more common route in many cases, you could always choose to buy a mature pair. It can be a little tougher to find a mature pair, but if you don't mind doing dome leg work I'm sure you could find one.

Back
Top Bottom