Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Keyholes and bubbles

I have a 160 litre (37 Gallons) tank with an Amazonian theme in which I have a breeding pair of Keyhole Cichlids. Since this morning the male has been swimming up to the bubble jet, taking a mouthful of bubbles, and then blowing them onto some large pebbles.

Previously they laid eggs in the gravel, but since a re-arrangement a month ago (introduced 4 young discus) they have been spawning on a large pebble. Since the re-arrangement they have spawned on the pebble twice, but did not play with the bubbles before.

Has anyone else ever had this or could anyone offer an explanation? I'm worried that he might swallow one, possibly causing pain or death- I don't want to lose him as he is a beaut!

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2403030429.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	160211   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2734735374.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	160212  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1331820916.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	160213   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1327100938.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	160214  

Old 03-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very curious! No real idea why it'd do this, but maybe it's trying to clean the surface? Either way i think it's preparation for a spawn, maybe your keyhole feels he will get more spawning success with a better oxygenated site.... i have no idea but that sounds so cute

Old 03-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRChapps87 View Post
I have a 160 litre (37 Gallons) tank with an Amazonian theme in which I have a breeding pair of Keyhole Cichlids. Since this morning the male has been swimming up to the bubble jet, taking a mouthful of bubbles, and then blowing them onto some large pebbles.

Previously they laid eggs in the gravel, but since a re-arrangement a month ago (introduced 4 young discus) they have been spawning on a large pebble. Since the re-arrangement they have spawned on the pebble twice, but did not play with the bubbles before.

Has anyone else ever had this or could anyone offer an explanation? I'm worried that he might swallow one, possibly causing pain or death- I don't want to lose him as he is a beaut!

Thanks in advance.
I haven't had any experience with this but I do want to say those keyholes look great! I have been looking for them for a while. When they do come they are less than an inch.

Tags
bubble, bubbles, holes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com