Keyholes and bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MRChapps87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 160 litre (37 Gallons) tank with an Amazonian theme in which I have a breeding pair of Keyhole Cichlids. Since this morning the male has been swimming up to the bubble jet, taking a mouthful of bubbles, and then blowing them onto some large pebbles.

Previously they laid eggs in the gravel, but since a re-arrangement a month ago (introduced 4 young discus) they have been spawning on a large pebble. Since the re-arrangement they have spawned on the pebble twice, but did not play with the bubbles before.

Has anyone else ever had this or could anyone offer an explanation? I'm worried that he might swallow one, possibly causing pain or death- I don't want to lose him as he is a beaut!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image-2403030429.jpg
    image-2403030429.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 76
  • image-2734735374.jpg
    image-2734735374.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1331820916.jpg
    image-1331820916.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1327100938.jpg
    image-1327100938.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 73
Very curious! No real idea why it'd do this, but maybe it's trying to clean the surface? Either way i think it's preparation for a spawn, maybe your keyhole feels he will get more spawning success with a better oxygenated site.... i have no idea but that sounds so cute :)

I have a 160 litre (37 Gallons) tank with an Amazonian theme in which I have a breeding pair of Keyhole Cichlids. Since this morning the male has been swimming up to the bubble jet, taking a mouthful of bubbles, and then blowing them onto some large pebbles.

Previously they laid eggs in the gravel, but since a re-arrangement a month ago (introduced 4 young discus) they have been spawning on a large pebble. Since the re-arrangement they have spawned on the pebble twice, but did not play with the bubbles before.

Has anyone else ever had this or could anyone offer an explanation? I'm worried that he might swallow one, possibly causing pain or death- I don't want to lose him as he is a beaut!

Thanks in advance.

I haven't had any experience with this but I do want to say those keyholes look great! I have been looking for them for a while. When they do come they are less than an inch.

Back
Top Bottom