keyholes , bolivian rams or princess cichlids??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgy

Aquarium Advice Regular
new to cichlids and obessed already !:dance:

I have a 40 gallon which has just finished cycling and want ideas of stocking it :)

was thinking of getting a group of 6-8 small juveniles as I would love to see them breed and hoping to get a pair or two of either of :
-keyhole cichlids
-bolivian rams
-princess cichlids

if I got any of the above would I have to do a species only tank ?? any advice from owners or previous owners would be great :):thanks::thanks:

The princess cichlids, would be a good choice, they have a neat family structure. The pair will spawn and let fry grow in the tank and older sibling will help defend the younger.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

That's what I was leaning towards have you had them ?

That's what I was leaning towards have you had them ?

Yeah, I never bred them just observed there spawning habits at the hatchery I used to buy from. It was kind of funny to watch a swarm of 3/4" fry swarming a BN to protect the younger fry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha yea I've read that they are very good to observe

I love keyholes, but they are pretty drab. Bolivians are nice too. Basically it comes down to 1.) do you want tank mates? 2.) do you want color, 3.) do you want to breed, 4.) what kinda of tank setup do you prefer? (ie. planted, rocky, driftwood, etc)

+1 tank mates and breeding don't usually go hand in hand without carefully chosing what will go with them and those options are few

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would love tank mates but reaserched all three abit and came to the conclusion if any three where to breed that wouldn't be possible due to aggression

Not to fused about colour , and would prefer either rock or planted :)

I have had a Bolivian ram. It was a pretty nice fish, and it did have some interesting behavior but contrary to popular belief they aren't this magical unkillable cichlid. They are actually fairly delicate (but still nothing compared to GBRs) IME because I had one in fine parameters in a community 20G and it died on me. I still don't know why.

Breeding Bolivians and keyholes are nothing to worry about. They do well with a school of tetras and you can even include some Cory cats with either species. Also look into nannacara adoketa and ivanacara anomala. Those are cool too, but much less common

Or syno luccipinnis. I agree that a colony of daffodils or brichardi with a group of synos is a cool look. Tanganyikans have a soft spot in my heart, as I am not a fan of most rift lake cichlids common in the pet trade

My bet on easiest would be the previously mentioned keyholes. Theyre essentially the community cichlid. My humble oppinion.

All three species would be an easy setup. If breeding is the goal, brichardi/daffodils would be a great choice. If you want a lot of movement and fish, then Bolivians or keyholes.

Or syno luccipinnis. I agree that a colony of daffodils or brichardi with a group of synos is a cool look. Tanganyikans have a soft spot in my heart, as I am not a fan of most rift lake cichlids common in the pet trade

Thanks for your info guys really helpful !

Leaning towards a group of bichardi"s with some synodontis petricola ! What numbers of each group would be best ?

Could I do just normal Cory's ?

Back
Top Bottom