Kordon Ich-Attack?? help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discusdude

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I am sad to say that I have discovered some small dots in my tank aka ich. I just wanted to see if anyone has has used Kordon Ich-Attack. I bought some and have been using it for two days as directed.

To cut to the chase I wanted to see if this product works. Ask others they're opinions on how to treat ich and/or any recommendations of products. Thanks

tank specs
55gallon, fluval 305, marineland heater
3 discus, 12 tetras, 2 rams and ghost shrimp
live plants, drift wood and river sand

I tried it years ago with no effect on my outbreak. I would skip the chemicals slowly raise the tank temp to 86 degrees, keep it there for 2 weeks, add aquarium salt at a dosage of 1tlbs per 5 gallons and lastly perform daily water changes of 25% with gravel vac to remove the parasite as it falls of the fish.

When you raise the heat that high the oxygen levels drop so adding a air stone or pointing your canister output to the surface will help.

ok cool. Its at 86 now and I did a water change yesterday, which seemed to make the fish alot happier.

ya i bought a couple bottles, it kinda works when you use 200% ratio , every 8 hours. but thats 25 bucks and i probly woulda got 2 more before it was enough. i got jungle ick2 for loaches and sensitive fish, and used 2 bottles after the ich attaCK. THE REASON IS I DIDNT WANT TO STAIN MY LIFT TUBES AND WHATNOT, and both these products will not stain. i think ich attack will work if you use double the dose at least every 8 hours, but before i went broke i used the jungle ick2 and hurried the process up. i also raised temp and used salt. props for trying to make a green-friendly product that doesnt use chemicals, on kordons behalf.any one else try kordons ich attack?

i just used almost a whole bottle of the kordons, not much good so far. i just picked up a bottle of api super ick cure. its going to hold me over and keep my fish alive untill i get my bottle of seachem paragaurd. we'll see.

also ive raised my temp to 86. using salt and doing daily water changes.. alot of work

I have been using the API ich meds and they fish look and feel a lot happier. The water is a lil blue at st but then it clears up. I'm using 25 ml everyday I'm my tank.

its strong and will work at the expense of staining your sealent and any clear tubes blue. sucks, i hate ich. now i have a qt. and all will go in it first.

i havent noticed much staining yet. i just want it gone!!
yeah ive learned anything new going in my tank MUST be qt'd and inspected!

QT saves a lot of grief and unnecessary death. Even the best FS can sometimes get a shipment in that's sick. All you need to do is put one of them in your tank and wham your fighting to keep all your fish alive.
No one ever gets into my tank without 30 days in QT first.
Depending on how sever your ick outbreak is, the higher temp and Aquarium Salt should do the trick.
Just remember that higher temps. use more air. Be sure to add an air stone if you don't have one already

Always quarantine. If you can't, ask your LFS to do it for you. Mine will set me up a separate tank in their display and write NFS on the front and hold them for 2 weeks. Generally they'll only do this if you buy a lot of fish at once though.

That's a really good idea. I'm going to restock a 55g tank soon. All but a Pleco died from the worst (and fastest) case of ick I've ever seen. So he's in my QT now, But I'd like to get 6 Angel fish and my QT is to small to do that. But having my FS do it would be perfect.
Thanks for the idea

yeah i just lost a discs and one is fighting for his life. i learned my lesson.
i have a 5 gallon tank i can set up for when i want to get new fish. this will never happen again due to my lack of knowledge.

It works, but it takes a lot of time. I had 2 tanks outbreak at once (accidental cross-contamination), and I used ich-attack on my cichlids with no heater. It took a little over a month to completely clear up. My community tank that has a heater, took a quick week with no ich-attack, but that tank is kept at 82 constantly anyways, so it didn't take much to end that.

Well I'm running my heater @86 and amy using rid-ich from the same company. It seems to have cleared up in a week but I'm going to continue to treating for another week just to be safe. I also vacuum the substrate and do 15gal water changes every other day.

Back
Top Bottom