krib questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ripvanrina

Aquarium Advice Regular
I can't remember who was talking about kribs here not too long ago...i did a search and couldn't find the right thread. Anyways I've read that a pair of kribs would do well in a community tank. I have a 25g and was looking for any krib owners with suggestions, opinions..
if kribs won't work would opaline or pearl gourami's be too big? 5-6in

25g-almost through cycling (fishless)
NH3: 0ppm
NO2: 2ppm
NO3:20ppm
ph: 7.8 --i think i'm going to put in a 'boglog' i have from my lfs, which should lower my ph
78degrees
aquaclear 150

The 'kribensis' (Pelvicachromis pulcher) can do well in a community tank depending on the other inhabitants. Like all cichlids, 'kribensis' are territorial, especially around breeding time, and will bully or kill any fish that has the audacity to come into their home turf. A 25 gallon tank will certainly house a pair of 'kribs' nicely...as long as you don't get two males (they'll fight for territory). What other kinds of fish were you thinking of adding to the tank?

-Joe

I'm very open at the moment..I was hoping to get some loaches or corys for sure, and possibly a schooling fish for the mid-top of the tank. because kribensis are usually listed under cichlids it's hard to find compatibility stats. I was also considering a gourami or two-at the lfs there was a krib in the gourami tank and it was really cool to see how they interacted, it was even swimming around with one for awhile. any of this seem feasible?

I have a few kribs in with Apistos, cories, white clouds, small plecos yo-yo and khuli loaches. The tank is a 50 gal with lots of natural wood and some plants. I have not seen any aggression, but I also have not seen any breeding behavior.

Kribs are one of the least aggresive cichlids. They tend to stay near the bottom so dont put many other bottom dwellers in with them. They need there own space. Give them places to hide. They will make a claim on the area around there hiding spot. A breeding pair will share a hiding/breeding place. They breed pretty easy. You will soon be wondering what to do with the fry as they grow.
I bought a male and a week later the female. They paired up the next day and within a week were guarding a cluster of eggs. They would chase off the danios if they came to close. The danios were never harmed. It was fun watching these fish guard and herd the young around the tank.

chasgod is right, kribs stick to the bottom half of the tank, so I'd steer clear of bottom dwellers, as they'll be the first to go when the kribs start breeding. If you get a male and female, they will pair up and will spawn...I think Kribs are easier to breed than fancy guppies!

My first pair of breeding kribs killed every other fish in the tank, either through bullying or chasing them out the tiny hole in the back of the versa-top, onto the carpet.

I wouldn't count on the bogwood lowering pH more than .1 to .2, and it'll take a while for that to happen. the kribs will breed fine in harder water, but there's a good chance all the offspring will be male, as pH determines what sex the eggs will hatch as. Soft acidic water yeilds females. A neutral pH would give the best mix of sexes.

can they be kept individually so I won't have to worry about breeding aggression or a plethora of baby kribs?

1 Krib will do fine in a tank.
To bad you dont live close by. I would give you 1 or 2 for free. :) Got 6 in my 20L all born in that tank. had to flush the rest of the brood. Think they are all males too. PH is over 8.
It was great watching the Krib pair raise young but will not go thru it again. Didnt like having to kill them. lfs in the area didnt want them.

Breeding kribs sounds like quite an experience, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. Haha thanks for the offer, but oklahoma's bit far. My lfs has a couple beautiful kribs that are very active and happy, but in another tank there are a couple that have clenched fins and look a little sickly, which worries me. thanks for all the help!

ripvanrina
Just thought I would let you know. Another generation of Krib's were born in my 20L the other day. The parents are also brother & sister and they were born in that same tank not 9 months ago.

only thing easier to breed than kribs are guppies, and that's only because krib fry should be moved to a grow out tank so the parents don't eat them or kill them when they have another batch of fry in 6 weeks.

malkore said:
only thing easier to breed than kribs are guppies, and that's only because krib fry should be moved to a grow out tank so the parents don't eat them or kill them when they have another batch of fry in 6 weeks.

That ROCKS!!! Ive never kept the fish but I will definately keep it in mind.. :D :D

wow. you just can't control those kribs. I wish i could take some off of your hands :D ...too bad they're so unwanted there.

Back
Top Bottom