kribensis cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I finally found some local Kribensis Cichlids at a lfs around here! I have been in love with these guys for a long time and it's killing me.... Anyone have any first hand experience in keeping them in a pretty busy tank? Mine is 87 gallons and pretty heavily planted (also rocks and caves) with barbs, rainbow fish, pictus catfish, and some skirt tetra. The pair I would get aren't very small and I think could hold their own, but I don't want them to be stressed with all the other active fish. Let me know what advice you all have with these, and thanks!

Would you be getting an established pair or a group of young ones to pair up and then return the extras? Once a pair is established and takes up a territory they shouldn't have any problem maintaining it. Pictus cats would be an issue with eggs or fry, should be quick enough to dodge the parents but likely to eat the eggs or fry when they spawn.

I would get a pair but not established. I spent a while in the store observing them and their colors clearly indicate which is male and female, so I thought id watch some more and see if two like each other a little more than the others ;)

I am not necessarily seeking spawn, but I've read they spawn pretty frequently. My pictus ate some unlucky neon tetras so I imagine they would eat them too, but I don't want to have the kribs snap and kill potential offenders :eek:

If I did want to move some fry should they make it past eggs, could I put them in a breeder box?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can see it working at least till they have eggs. Everything you have may leave them alone except maybe the pictus cats. Its worth a try imo. It should still work out.. the fry can go in a breeder box/net for a while.

Couple pictures of mine

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1410349864067.jpg
    1410349864067.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 1410349880610.jpg
    1410349880610.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 124
Agree with much above, the tank mates are pretty ideal for Kribs generally but breeding always causes complications and the pictus cats would be the biggest issue picking off the fry, as I think your tank is big enough for breeding Kribs with schooling fish. I'd say they'll claim approx 15-20 gallons space so you have plenty left for the other fish on a temporary fry raising basis.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to head back and pick some up later today!!

Well I picked up a fantastic little pair of kribs today! At the store, the male was defending the other males away from one specific female so I took that to mean he liked her ;) I've made some more caves around the tank for them, but it seems they have taken to the only "fake" decor piece that I've had for years!!...a tall and hollow "rock" centerpiece that actually looks pretty real since it's stained from algae and whatnot over the years. I guess if they do have babies they'll be a little safer in there!

Sounds good, I think you'll enjoy them.

Just wanted to update how much I love these two! They follow each other all over the tank, playing in the plants and exploring caves. Nobody bothers them at all and they love to come see me for food! (Not so much a fan of pellets, but love the bloodworms!!) This is the best pic I have of them...so happy I found some !ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411617433.077566.jpg

So the picture above was taken a month ago. Is it at all normal for their colors to fade if not spawning? The female's belly is not as big and round or that brilliant pink. They aren't listless or anything, eating normally, etc. Water parameters are great, weekly 50% (ish) water changes...

Back
Top Bottom