Kribensis question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big-j

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey I've been planning for a larger cichlid breeding tank for awhile now and I think I've zeroed in on my favorites, I'd love to get some Kribensis, or Auratus if I can't get the kribs, has anyone kept or bred wither of these and if so if you have why advice regarding the temperament and hardiness of these fish please let me know :) thanks alot

I have a pair of kribs in my 30g long and they breed like crazy. I got my first batch of eggs a few weeks ago and they just laid eggs under my slate again yesterday. I must say, they get EXTREMELY aggressive when breeding. I'm not talking a little nipping if they come your way - I'm talking the other fish are practically trying to jump out of the tank! Even my large (6"+) koi angel doesn't want anything to do with them. The male harassed my last neon (probably 2 years old) and 4 von rios to death before I separated them.

My female is an excellent parent, scooping up wandering fry in her mouth and spitting them back into the cloud of fry. The male started off good, tending to the fry, guarding their slate cave, etc. Then all of a sudden he decided he liked to eat the fry and the female didn't take it so well. They started fighting, the male won I'd say. The female had her tail fin pretty chewed up but two weeks in QT fixed it right up.

This time I put them into the main tank and let them lay their eggs. Once the fry hit free swimming I am going to suck them out of the tank with airline tubing and put them into a grow out tank. I have a LFS that is willing to buy them off me so I do want survivors.

First batch of fry was somewhere in the 60-80 egg range. Probably half survived to free swimming. The second time (yesterdays batch) is probably a little larger, maybe closer to 100 eggs.

As far as parameters... ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 15ppm (I dose nitrates for my plants), pH was around 7.4 the last time I checked, CO2 30ppm. Tank is moderately planted right now, just rescaped and got new plants so it is still growing in. Playsand substrate with lots of red slate for hiding places. I'd say sand is a must as the kribs will dig a pit to breed in (mine happened to like under a piece of slate). If you have any other questions feel free to ask! Hope it helps! :)

Last edited:
Awesome I'm glad that someone with exactly the experience I need answered, ok my questions are if I got a 29g for just those two would it be enough? And also how much do you sell them for?

If you keep just a pair in a 29g that would be perfect. You could probably add some other smaller fish like tetras - as long as they are fast! I'd go with diamonds or one of the larger tetras if you do.

Two different LFS offered to buy some off me, no more than 25 at a time. One said they would give me $1 cash per fish at 1/2" - 1" and the other said $2 store credit at 3/4"+. I'm not sure what their markup is but I bet they will still make out decent. I'm sure if you let them grow out and/or pair up you could get a lot more on AquaBid or in message boards.

Yeah I agree awesome I just went to lfs and he has brand new 29g with heater filter hood lights everything except stand for 89.99!!! I'm probably gonna get it tomorrow!!! Lol

May not help much, but I just got a kribensis a couple weeks ago for my community tank. He is very calm and relaxed and fun to watch.

Big J, what is that fish that is your avatar picture?

It's one I found online, lol I put it there to remind myself of goals I haven't reached yet. Eventually I want a 75-100g with Malawi cichlids and it's gonna be my first purchase, it's some form of cockatoo cichlid I think.

It's one I found online, lol I put it there to remind myself of goals I haven't reached yet. Eventually I want a 75-100g with Malawi cichlids and it's gonna be my first purchase, it's some form of cockatoo cichlid I think.

That is really cool, I haven't had any luck finding any cockatoo's in my area in central florida yet :(

Back
Top Bottom