Kribs and Firemouths?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CICHLID_LOVER

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey i have a 20 gallon long and inside it is hopefully a pair of firemouths but i wanted something else in the tank can i put a pair of kribs with them?
Thanks!!!!

One Firemouth in a 20 gallon is a lot, keep in mind they can reach 6" and can be fairly aggressive, even more so when in too small of quarters, so IMO I'd say your tank is fully stocked (not so much fully stocked just all of its likely claimed by him). I'm curious, what are the dimensions of your tank? I certainly wouldn't add anymore bottom dwellers however if big enough you could *maybe* put some quick and "large" surface dwelling fish.

One Firemouth in a 20 gallon is a lot, keep in mind they can reach 6" and can be fairly aggressive, even more so when in too small of quarters, so IMO I'd say your tank is fully stocked. I'm curious, what are the dimensions of your tank? I certainly wouldn't add anymore bottom dwellers however if big enough you could *maybe* put some quick and "large" surface dwelling fish.

thanks im not sure but im going to upgrade to a 55g tall:thanks:

If you do have a breeding pair of firemouths, you will most likely not be able to successfully keep any other fish in with them. Breeding fish like to be by themselves and as a larger Cichlid than the kribs, the firemouths would most likely kill them instead of tolerate them in that sized tank. Sorry, if you want other fish, I'd get multiple same sexed cichlids so you don't have the breeding situation to contend with. I'd also do it in a larger tank than the 20 long ;) Maybe go without the firemouths and go with smaller cichlids such as Kribs, brichardis or other smaller Africans or S. American apistogrammas or Microgeophagus ( a.k.a. Rams) that don;t get large, for that sized tank.
Hope this helps.

Also remember that after a spawn, it's not uncommon for one of the parents to beat up the other if not given enough room. I'm having issues with my pair of spathodus erythrodon "Burundi" (goby cichlids). The female appears to be mouthbrooding, and the male has decided to not let her near any of the rock work in my tank. Mind you these fish are both 3" or under and it's a 20 gallon long. I've had to add a fake plant under my filter for her to perch on. Trust me, an upgrade would be a good idea before they spawn, otherwise it's a headache and possibly a dead fish

Back
Top Bottom