Kribs and GBR together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Someone mentioned to me that I shouldn't keep kribs and rams together in the same tank because if the Kribs call the Ram's bluff, its all over for the rams.

Anyways, my 2 kribs are in my community tank and are doing very well (seem very peaceful), I might be getting a larger tank (going from a 75 to a 105gal) and it will be heavily planted. I have always wanted GBR so once I get the money, I planned to buy a few.

Is it possible to have 2-4 rams with 2-4 kribs with plants and enough hiding places?

I kept kribs in a 50 lightly planted/heavy on other hiding spots with some apistos and GBR. When the kribs mated, the apistos and rams did not do well. At the same time (I didn't realize what was going on) there were water quality issues that ultimately led to the apistos' and rams' end. Currently, there is a small GBR left from the bunch that didn't make it; the little GBR has not reached sexual maturity and has been doing fine.
In a much larger, planted tank things might have been better, but the fish will lay eggs where they want to—it would be nice if they stuck to “their side” of the tank.

That isn't bad. I figure if my CO2 canister is fixed, and I can get my new shipment of plants to grow successfully and abundantly, I will create caves and hiding places and look into getting some GBR and possibly 2 more kribs (but albino).

Im trying to get an idea of my new stocking list if I get this 105gal

In a tank that large, with only a few of each, it might work just fine, especially with the plant cover.

But please be aware that breeding kribs can be VERY aggressive. Not always, but it can happen. My male chased a 5" SAE out of the tank to its death, and bullied two rummy nose tetra to death, all in 24 hours.

But this was in a 20gal, so again you may experience different results ina larger tank. if they did breed, move the free swimming fry to a separate tank after a couple days and the adults will settle down.

Back
Top Bottom