Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Smile Kribs & Tiger Barbs?

I have an empty 20g tall that needs fish!!
Am planning on this being a very low tech planted tank & as far as stocking goes I'd like 1 Pr Kribs, 8-10 Tiger Barbs & some Nerites & Ghost Shrimp. Am thinking Barbs could handle a breeding pr of Kribs so that takes care of top, mid & bottom levels. And some Ghost Shrimp & Nerites because I need some sort of "clean up crew" that will work with Kribs & not compete with their bottom level space (will have filtration for 30g). I've always wanted to try Tiger Barbs and am thinking this would be a good combo & help with the fry population when the time comes as well. Thoughts??

Old 02-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tiger barbs need a bigger space, especially that many

Old 02-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not gonna work in a 20 tall in a 20 long maybe. I would only do a krib pair in a 20 tall though.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Why is a 20g too small for only 10 Tiger Barbs?
20g tall tank foot print too small for 1 PR of Kribs? What's the difference in the foot print size between the tall & long?
Old 02-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The 20 tall is good for a krib pair. The 20 tall is only 24 inches the 20 long is 30 inches long. The tiger barbs need a longer tank they are very active and Ned extra swimming space.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the info!! Would 5 Tiger Barbs work, maybe? If not, any suggestions on some sort of dither fish that could handle the Kribs Dr Heckle & Mr Hyde personalities? I always liked the Tiger's frisky but non lethal behavior & their color!
Old 02-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't do it in a 20 tall I would just do a krib pair with no tankmates. Or you could go for a community setup with a different type of barb like cherrys.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just trying to understand your reasoning here. May need to trade my tank & stand for the long version for I can have enough room!
I successfully kept a breeding pair of Angels in this tank without any other tank mates. The Angel's I understand being alone together but not the Krib's. The Krib's are terrors when breeding & raising fry like most Cichlids but are less than half the size of the Angel fish, that's why I was just going with them and a pretty fast type of dither fish. Some years back I had a pair breeding in a 29g tank and they didn't claim even half of the tanks foot print, that's why I was thinking I could use my 20g tall.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the thing is its not really about the kribs in the 20 tall that's the issue. It's the tiger barbs they are very active and need swimming space. I think you could possibly do kribs and maybe zebra danios in a 20 tall.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you like the look if tigers? Try hexazona(5 banded) barbs, 8 or do could prob hang with kribs? What do you think j?

Tags
barb, barbs, krib, kribs, tiger, tiger barb, tiger barbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com