Kribs, Wonderful Kribs! (with pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heiko

Aquarium Advice Activist
It official i now have a pair of kribs in my tank! after alot of running about i found a woman who had had them breeding locally and wanted to sell them. So I took a pair off her.

Im so happy, hope they like their new home. She told me they love to live (and breed) in barnicles. So i bought some off ebay :D

Tankmates now are:
2 zebra danoi (going to make upto 6)
2 sucking loaches (juvenile so small)
1 Male swordtail

Hope all goes well. ill post pics when i can. Any advice from krib owners?

I have had my kribs for about a week now, got to say they are wonderful fish in the time i have had them. love the colors they have. very personable too. hope you enjoy yours as much as i have been enjoying mine.

Thanks guys, I love them to bits, best fish ive had yet by far.

Yeh barnicles, the woman said all her spawned in them and when i went round she was showing me here bristlenoe eggs, seing as it had just spawned in them aswell. Its amazing u wouldnt think theyd fit in them buut they do.

Thanks,

Heik

Pics incase anyones interested.

The female seems alot more interested in the male than he is in her. Maybe hes not fully mature yet. Can anyone tell from the pic? I know he gets pink on him when hes in breeding mode.

Thanks

He really doesn't have a lot of color yet, still seems to be scared a little. Give him some time and some good food to color up and get into breeding mood. The female looks ready to me, has a nice round bellie. But my Kribs needed a while too till they both had interest into each other at the same time.

You could give them some stimulating food, live food, brine shrimp, anything with carotines.

ok, I have freeze dried blood worms, they any good. Might take a trip down to the lfs if not. They have frozon bloodworm tablets but no live stuff.

Any ideas, how about packaged stuff like processed brine shrimp that come in a kind of sachet?

That female is lookin' goooooood! She is ready to rock, so I think you have a nice pair once you get the male into condition. It may take a couple of weeks for them to get comfy but you have a great setup for them, congrats!

Thanks,
im gonna make this work. lol. Ok just went down lfs and bought freeze dried brine shrimp, they came im blocks so i stuck it to the side of the glass as anothher AA member said to do a while ago and they seemed to love it. However after like, 2 minuted it poped off the glass and shot to the top and spread its contence everywhere. It basically disintegrated and the water got really cloudy. There are still bit in it, hopefully i havnt fed too much. :x

Thanks for the advice

His colours improving a little, but hes very temporamental with it, hes never vividly coloured for long like his partner.

Take this for example..... The pictures are no more than 30 seconds apart.

He seems to be getting there :wink: .

I have those tubifex cubes that are supposed to stick to the glass, but they don't stick neither, just pop up to the top in a few secondes. I always feed my fish out of my hand or crumble it up a little and when they've found it I crumble up more... They will recognize it after a while.

kewl, i think he likes those, was absolutly murdering part of a block, lol

Personally never tried to stick brine to the sides...I always just take a part of one of the chunks and crumble it up a little in the water. That way the fish can get it a little easier. And like Tifi, I crumble up the tubiflex inside the water. Love to watch my kribs go nuts over that stuff, and when it is floating around the other fish have a chance to get some of it also.

thanks,

ill bear that in mind. I just boak the tubifex in the tank for a bit break it up slightly then leave it with them in the water. They seem to like it, kribs have a go at the big lump while danois pick off the single floating bits.

Ive just noticed my female krib, she hovers aove he gravel then turns and dives crashing her side into the ground. What does this mean?

The males colours are still very temporamental.

Back
Top Bottom