Labidochromis fry feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russrimm

Aquarium Advice Activist
My female yellow lab just gave birth to 12 healthy fry. I've never raised them before, so I'm not sure how much to feed them. I've been breaking up some spirulina flakes (omega one) and putting in some live baby brine shrimp. They're poopin like crazy!! How much should these 12 babies eat in a day? Is it possible for babies to get Malawi bloat? Any recommendations for a newbie raising these babies?

hrm.. well I know they eat the yolk sac for a day or too..

my female gave birth the other day, I cannot find the fry at all, I fear they were eaten since I could never get her out of the tank to a qt tank without removing everything.. so I just decided that nature would take its course :(

anyways, you might want to check cichlid-forum.com -- under the articles they say to feed them brine shrimp, artemia, and the spirulina flakes, which you are doing.

I think it'd just be fine to feed them the flakes after you feed them the brine shrimp in order to help their digestive system..

I dunno if this has been much help..

-thane

That's what i've been doing, but how much and how often for 12 babies that are about 2 days old? 5 flakes? 12-20 baby brine shrimps? Once per day?

One other question I forgot to ask - I put brine shrimp eggs in salt water for 24-36 hours, and not a single one of them have hatched. Has anyone ever bought one of those brine shrimp hatchery kits? It's basically just a plastic base with a threaded hole that you can screw a 2 liter bottle into upside down and cut off the bottom and put water in and bubble through. I'm confused as to why none have hatched yet. It's been almost 40 hours now!!! I have a light buble near it, so it's probably around 80F.

Back
Top Bottom