Labs A'Holding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK now I am certain that one of my labs are holding. It's the biggest one in my brood of 5 at about 3". She comes out when the others eat, but just swims around a bit then hides again. She looks quite healthy. She keeps tight-lipped, so I can't see inside, but her lower jaw is puffy. I'm rather stoked about it. I have not had any make it "full term" yet. Wish me luck!

Labenator65000 said:
How long to labs hold (is that the correct term)?

Yes that is correct term 7-10 days till they hatch and it can vary if you want them to spit . She will spit once she feel comfortable most people put theirs in a holding tank alone.

garfy said:
My labs hold for a full 30 days give or take a few days.

Thanks. So I'm wondering what to expect? I'm not going to strip her and plan to just let it happen au' natural. Will she spit in a relatively safe place? Will she guard the fry? For how long? Will they instinctively know to hide?

If she spits in the tank with other cichlids, most will not survive. You will think they are all gone and one day you will spot a tiny little fish hiding in a good spot. About 1 out of 10 will make it depending on other fish and hiding spots.

Jmedic25 said:
If she spits in the tank with other cichlids, most will not survive. You will think they are all gone and one day you will spot a tiny little fish hiding in a good spot. About 1 out of 10 will make it depending on other fish and hiding spots.

+1 I have only 2 survivors from about 5 batches of fry.All the others were eaten.

Yeah and that's really fine. I don't want to be overrun with Labs.

Will she guard the fry at all, or are they on their own the moment she spits them?

I've only had one survivor out of multiple holds that I allowed to spit in the main tank. I have raised hundreds of fry though. It is fun but you might want to make sure you have a place to take them as you can be overrun lol. I had retired from breeding and selling and then some of my students talked me into setting up tanks for them and they wanted some Mbuna so I let two of my labs spit expecting around 25 from the two. One alone spit 36...the other 28. Needless to say I kept my LFS in stock for a bit single handedly lol

I have had some mothers scoop up fry after they spit, others are done with them immediately it will depend...

Labenator65000 said:
OK now I am certain that one of my labs are holding. It's the biggest one in my brood of 5 at about 3". She comes out when the others eat, but just swims around a bit then hides again. She looks quite healthy. She keeps tight-lipped, so I can't see inside, but her lower jaw is puffy. I'm rather stoked about it. I have not had any make it "full term" yet. Wish me luck!

Dang. She musthave either spit them early or swallowed them because last night she was snarfing food like she had not eaten in a week. No poufy chin anymore. That's two little labs that have not come to full term. *sigh* I guess I just need to be patient and let them mature a bit.

Very common, ive been suprised though. Just keep a sharp eye out. If they hide well then they can survive with very little hold time. I thought they were all dead then i see some itty bitty fry hiding in a very small place. Its happened a few times to me.

Back
Top Bottom