Labs breeding!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichildlife

Aquarium Advice Addict
My labs are breeding! The females' tube is down and shes plump, nd male is consistantly shaking at her! Cant wait should be soon!

Cichildlife said:
My labs are breeding! The females' tube is down and shes plump, nd male is consistantly shaking at her! Cant wait should be soon!

That's awesome!
I really want to breed those sometime. Yellow is my colour, haha.

Congrats, post pictures of the fry! Labs are one of my favorite kinds of cichlids!

Yea im hoping for the best, though they usually eat there first brood correct? This is her first so yea... Male chasing her now flaring his bright colors nd such. Very cool

I have 2 breeding yellow labs, 2 metriaclima greshakei breeding, and 1 red zebra breeding and none of them ever ate an egg. In fact, I thought their first batches would be small...WRONG! I usually get 40-50 fry per spawn.

Lol cool i had a bigger lab, profile pics, holding (actually i took that one wen she was lol) nd she held for bout 2 days then suddenly was eating so yea :( but i guess anything can happen. Ill post pics tomorrow!

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• image-3239451560.jpg
    image-3239451560.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 161
  • image-1777582759.jpg
    image-1777582759.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 167
Idk but I think if u don't get the fry out right away after she spits em out shell eat them

I never move my females, but I strip them at 3 weeks. At 3 weeks the fry are free swimming and easy to care for. Good luck!!!

Ok nd how you just hold the female nd open her mouth correct- to strip her. Idk if she'll last that long but who knows

I strip mine after three weeks also. If you don't then the male will certainly make a meal of them. My last batch of fry I didn't get out in time and got to watch as the male chased the female around and gobbled up every little one she spit out.

At 3 weeks I fill 2 buckets with tank water and put the female in one of them. When I'm ready to strip her, I catch her (being very careful to hold her firmly but gently and making sure I'm NOT CLOSING HER GILL COVERS) hold her in the water and open her mouth. Sometimes you gotta wiggle her or tap gently on her throat to get everyone out. When I'm tired or she's tired I put her in the empty bucket, rest a second then try again. Keep doing this till you're sure she's empty then 'burp' her. Hold her mouth up in the water and open her mouth, air bubbles should come out. (I failed to do this my first time and she couldn't swim properly so I had to catch her again) then put her back in your tank. That leaves you with a bucket of babies
:-D

Google it! That's what I did, got the basics and have adapted it to my needs.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

Yea shes still holding... Nd hiding from the male. so hoping. Thx again for all the help

Attachments

• image-791917264.jpg
    image-791917264.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 106
Back
Top Bottom