Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TheGrza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 223
Lace rock

What is the geologic name for lace rock?
__________________

__________________
TheGrza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
A quick google search came up with...


http://geology.utah.gov/surveynotes/...scaperock2.htm

Arizona

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...&client=safari

This^^^^

Because I myself do not have the answer lol.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TheGrza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
A quick google search came up with...

http://geology.utah.gov/surveynotes/...scaperock2.htm

Arizona

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...&client=safari

This^^^^

Because I myself do not have the answer lol.
Thanks Convict. Unfortunately it still didn't help me find an inexpensive source for the stuff. My LFS bangs me over the head for this stuff and I want to build higher.
__________________
TheGrza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrza View Post

Thanks Convict. Unfortunately it still didn't help me find an inexpensive source for the stuff. My LFS bangs me over the head for this stuff and I want to build higher.
Oh I'm sorry. Have you tried like a rock quarry or stone place? Of in bulk it may be cheaper. Wish I could help. My buddy owns rock yard in my town and its pretty much free. Shipping would kill you though.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TheGrza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Oh I'm sorry. Have you tried like a rock quarry or stone place? Of in bulk it may be cheaper. Wish I could help. My buddy owns rock yard in my town and its pretty much free. Shipping would kill you though.
I'm in Nassau County NY. What's the name of the rock yard? Every place I call thinks I'm crazy.
__________________
TheGrza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrza View Post

I'm in Nassau County NY. What's the name of the rock yard? Every place I call thinks I'm crazy.
Haha I bet

I got your PM.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
rotorhead22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrza View Post
What is the geologic name for lace rock?
Lace Rock is an igneous rock (volcanic or extrusive type) and is actually weathered Rhyolite tuff and associated with lava flows. Pumice is a type of Rhyolite. It has a silicon rich composition (~70%) similar to granite and contains minerals such as quartz, feldspars, pyroxenes, mica, and amphibole. Unlike granite, the crystals are very small due to rapid cooling rates.

Rhyolite has better weatherability than basalt and causes less of an increase in pH than basalt. Leachants include Mg, Ca, Si, Al, and higher amounts of Na and K than basalt.

Hope this helps
__________________
rotorhead22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TheGrza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead22

Lace Rock is an igneous rock (volcanic or extrusive type) and is actually weathered Rhyolite tuff and associated with lava flows. Pumice is a type of Rhyolite. It has a silicon rich composition (~70%) similar to granite and contains minerals such as quartz, feldspars, pyroxenes, mica, and amphibole. Unlike granite, the crystals are very small due to rapid cooling rates.

Rhyolite has better weatherability than basalt and causes less of an increase in pH than basalt. Leachants include Mg, Ca, Si, Al, and higher amounts of Na and K than basalt.

Hope this helps
Thanks.
__________________

__________________
TheGrza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.