Lace rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Convict. Unfortunately it still didn't help me find an inexpensive source for the stuff. My LFS bangs me over the head for this stuff and I want to build higher.

Oh I'm sorry. Have you tried like a rock quarry or stone place? Of in bulk it may be cheaper. Wish I could help. My buddy owns rock yard in my town and its pretty much free. Shipping would kill you though.

Convict2161 said:
Oh I'm sorry. Have you tried like a rock quarry or stone place? Of in bulk it may be cheaper. Wish I could help. My buddy owns rock yard in my town and its pretty much free. Shipping would kill you though.

I'm in Nassau County NY. What's the name of the rock yard? Every place I call thinks I'm crazy.

What is the geologic name for lace rock?

Lace Rock is an igneous rock (volcanic or extrusive type) and is actually weathered Rhyolite tuff and associated with lava flows. Pumice is a type of Rhyolite. It has a silicon rich composition (~70%) similar to granite and contains minerals such as quartz, feldspars, pyroxenes, mica, and amphibole. Unlike granite, the crystals are very small due to rapid cooling rates.

Rhyolite has better weatherability than basalt and causes less of an increase in pH than basalt. Leachants include Mg, Ca, Si, Al, and higher amounts of Na and K than basalt.

Hope this helps

rotorhead22 said:
Lace Rock is an igneous rock (volcanic or extrusive type) and is actually weathered Rhyolite tuff and associated with lava flows. Pumice is a type of Rhyolite. It has a silicon rich composition (~70%) similar to granite and contains minerals such as quartz, feldspars, pyroxenes, mica, and amphibole. Unlike granite, the crystals are very small due to rapid cooling rates.

Rhyolite has better weatherability than basalt and causes less of an increase in pH than basalt. Leachants include Mg, Ca, Si, Al, and higher amounts of Na and K than basalt.

Hope this helps

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom