Ladybugs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike4242

Aquarium Advice Activist
Now that it is getting cold, tons of ladybugs have been over running my man cave. Started throwing a few in the tank here and there and my cichlids gobble then up. Does anybody else feed their cichlids unorthodox foods?

I have gave mine flies to eat occasionally. Also tadpoles. I really don't see the harm in ladybugs.

i feed my fish pretty much any bugs i can catch,grasshoppers,crickets,moths,praying mantises,etc. they love 'em and they are really nutritous

We have slugs in one of our terrariums, came in from plants we bought. My JDs and firemouths love them.

It's funny watching them take the first bite though, all that slug slime gets in their mouths and they spit them out then suck them back in.

When we do the fruitfly labs in AP biology, I feed the flies to my fish when we are done.

Yea thats awesome. One of the lady bugs managed to cling onto my oscars back and my turquoise jewel ate it off. Funny stuff. But crickets and grasshoppers sound good. And very high in protein probably.

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
can u feed spiders? they seem attracted to my room. in the corner. NEAR MY BED lol i hate them!!

I was just going to say spiders. might as well as long as they aren't poisonous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would do some research and figure out what has the most nutrients in it before I just start throwing random spiders and insects in. That being said an angel had a lady bug the other day but it got in by itself. Who knows what other bugs got ate so far.

i accidentally left the lid open on the oscar tank for 3 hours (thank god they are so lazy they didnt jump!) and when i closed it i saw three wierd things floating, realised they were mosquitos and a fruit fly. within seconds Manna zipped up there and ate them, im so glad there was no diseases in the bugs... especially the mosquitos.

That would be one of my biggest concern would be. If one of the bugs were sick and your fish got it... Wouldn't be good IMO. A mosquito would be scary. Flying around eating from all those animals.

Yea Mosquitos wouldn't really strike me as a good thing to feed your fish. The whole "anythings blood can be in it" factor kinda freaks me out

i did not feed them the mosquitos, i looked in a bit confused and saw them, i got the lid open again to net the bugs but Manna shot up and ate them.

Same thing with the ladybug. It was just there in the morning...

Back
Top Bottom