Lake Tanganyika Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MzSinkorSwim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, i just got a 72gal bowfront tank, & wanted to do something with this lake.. I like some of the tropheus cichlids, how would i stock this tank? My filtration is a sump & marineland 330 biowheel. Thanks for the help!

Well, I certainly don't know a lot about the Tanganyika cichlids, however in looking at the cichlid sites recommendation for a 75 gallon tank (closest cookie cutter set-up to your size), they recommend only a single tropheous species. Sorry not real helpful, but here's a paste of their recommendation;

Select only 1 Tropheus species:
• Any single Tropheus species - 12 - 15
Spathodus erythrodon, Eretmodus or
Tanginicodus - 1 pair of one species

Tropheus are awesome! I've currently got a colony of 13 tropheus bulu points ( 14 including a new baby fry ) in a 60 gallon tank but most of the tropheus species are really cool! Renegade is right about sticking with tropheus only if you do decide to raise them. They are a really active fish and they can be quite aggressive which is why most people recommend having a colony of at least 12-13 to spread the aggression. On the flip side tropheus are really susceptible to bloat so a lot of care is required to keep these fish healthy! Although you can't keep these fish with other cichlids, they do go well with some catfish, I currently have 1 featherfin catfish and 5 clown loaches with mine but its probably best to ask your lfs if you were wanting to put other catfish in there. I also find that they require a lot of hiding spots in the tank because of the aggressive nature of the fish which is why alot of tropheus keepers use rock work with their tanks.
Hope this advice helps :)

Thanks for the advice on the Tropheus..If I do just Tropheus can it be multiple types or just one species. If its only one particular type, i think id go with some other types to kind of make a community of like 3-4 different species..

Interesting post, I like these cichlids just as much as Mbuna, are tropheus supposed to be housed like demasoni, only one type of fish per tank? I like the Leluippi(I killed that spelling, but you get the idea..lol)

I've never housed separate tropheus together but I've seen a lot of tanks that dowith cherry spots and ikolas mixed together as an example. I'm pretty sure their aggression is mainly shown towards their own specific species.

Rhys23 said:
I've never housed separate tropheus together but I've seen a lot of tanks that dowith cherry spots and ikolas mixed together as an example. I'm pretty sure their aggression is mainly shown towards their own specific species.

So it looks like maybe I should look around for others besides the tropheus. Any suggestions on fish for a community from this lake. I like variety in color and shape :)

So it looks like maybe I should look around for others besides the tropheus. Any suggestions on fish for a community from this lake. I like variety in color and shape :)

If you're looking for a community of swimmers, here's what they recommend;

Select 3 types only:
Neolamprologus cylindricus, mustax,
leleupi or nigriventris - 2
Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps - 3
Julidochromis or Chalinochromis
Telmatochromis vittatus, bifrenatus or brichardi

If on the other hand you are interested in more diversity like having some shell-dwellers, this is what they are recommending;

Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps - pair
Neolamprologus buescheri
• Shell dweller pair of choice -
'Lamprologus' (Shellies) brevis,
multifasciatus (group), meleagaris,
ornatipinnis, ocellatus, speciosus,
similis (group), Neolamprologus signatus
Cyprichromis leptosoma (12) (non-jumbos)

Personally, the biggest issue I seem to be running into with these guys is availability. Unlike the more popular Malawi cichlids, they just aren't around much. Even on line distribution is pretty limited.

Wy Renegade said:

Select 3 types only:
• Neolamprologus cylindricus, mustax,
• Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps - 3
• Julidochromis or Chalinochromis
• Telmatochromis vittatus, bifrenatus or brichardi

If on the other hand you are interested in more diversity like having some shell-dwellers, this is what they are recommending;

• Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps - pair
• Neolamprologus buescheri
• Cyprichromis leptosoma (12) (non-jumbos)

Personally, the biggest issue I seem to be running into with these guys is availability. Unlike the more popular Malawi cichlids, they just aren't around much. Even on line distribution is pretty limited.

Thanks for the info & links, i will research these & do some investigating..

The best selection I've found for tangs on the web is Bluegrass Aquatics ( Home page ). I've been hesitant to order from them since I can't find anyone who's ordered from them as a reference and, well, shipping to Wyoming isn't exactly like shipping to anywhere else. For example, I know from experience UPS considers the entire state rural and won't guarantee overnight shipments will actually arrive overnight. Luckily, turtles do alright for two days in a box.

As for combinin' varieties of Tropheus, it can be done in a large enough tank. Some varieties will hybridize, however, so the combinations are somewhat limited. A lotta the Tropheus moorii varieties are likely different species taht haven't been described yet. I don't have anywhere near enough experience with trophs to know which combos are okay and which aren't.

WYite

Wy Renegade said:

Select 3 types only:
• Neolamprologus cylindricus, mustax,
• Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps - 3
• Julidochromis or Chalinochromis
• Telmatochromis vittatus, bifrenatus or brichardi

• Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps - pair
• Neolamprologus buescheri
• Cyprichromis leptosoma (12) (non-jumbos)

Got a chance to do some research today.. Now lets see what kind of fish are actually available for me to purchase :). Thanks for the input everyone.

Got a chance to do some research tonight and there's so many choices :) Let's see what is actually available near me.. Thanks everyone for your help :)

MzSinkorSwim said:
Got a chance to do some research tonight and there's so many choices :) Let's see what is actually available near me.. Thanks everyone for your help :)

I seen 2 other sites with what your looking for.
Cichlid express
Livefishdirect
Hope they can help you

rizzo said:
I seen 2 other sites with what your looking for.
Cichlid express
Livefishdirect
Hope they can help you

Thanks I'll check them out :)

Ive done some researching & looked up some fish.. Here is a list of fish i like, & would love to have the best combo to allow more species of fish..

Altolamprologus Calvus (black/pearl)
Neolamp or Lamprologus tretocephalus
Neolamprologus leleupi
Neolamprologus brichardi
Cyprichromis leptosoma
Callochromis pleurospilus maswa
Lamprologus ocellatus
Telmatochromis vittatus

I would the calvus, leleupi, brichardi, & tretocephalus.. If possible!! Thanks!

If ya get the trets, you'll wanna get several to ensure aggression is diffused. They get 6" and fairly nasty for lamprologines. They're not blue, but if yer lookin' for stripes, ya may check out Neolamprologus cylindricus. Smaller and not quite so temperamental IME.

Be careful with the brichardi, as well. If they start breeding they can take over a tank fairly quick. The main breeding pair will allow juveniles from previous broods to stick around and help raise fry from subsequent spawns. The combo of one adult pair and several near adult juvies can be overwhelming to more timid species. Ya might also look at caudopunks, Neolamprologus caudopunctatus, for a plain bodied fish.

Callochromis are open sand fish and occies are shell-dwellers. By the time ya add shells for the occies, yer takin' up open real estate for the callochromis. So if ya opt for either of those, I'd suggest one or the other and not both together.

WYite

Wyomingite said:
If ya get the trets, you'll wanna get several to ensure aggression is diffused. They get 6" and fairly nasty for lamprologines. They're not blue, but if yer lookin' for stripes, ya may check out Neolamprologus cylindricus. Smaller and not quite so temperamental IME.

Be careful with the brichardi, as well. If they start breeding they can take over a tank fairly quick. The main breeding pair will allow juveniles from previous broods to stick around and help raise fry from subsequent spawns. The combo of one adult pair and several near adult juvies can be overwhelming to more timid species. Ya might also look at caudopunks, Neolamprologus caudopunctatus, for a plain bodied fish.

Callochromis are open sand fish and occies are shell-dwellers. By the time ya add shells for the occies, yer takin' up open real estate for the callochromis. So if ya opt for either of those, I'd suggest one or the other and not both together.

WYite

Well brichardi i dont need... I like the way they look, they seem to me like they should be a species only tank. As far as the shell dwellers/open sand, ill do one, but im gonna look at them again.. And see which one i like better. I would really like the trets, if its possible to pick a few of the more hardier specifs to go with them, would it work?

Calvus, trets, & either the open sand/shell dweller... Id be fine with.. & if possible another tough open swimmer.. If the last one isnt doable because of the trets, thats fine.

Thanks for the quick response & great info! This lake is definitely a little more tougher to come by than Malawi.

Back
Top Bottom