Lake VS Lake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Italy592

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it really that bad to mix cichlids from lake tang. and lake Malawi ???

They do have different water parameters and aggressiveness but it comes down to the kind of fish IMO. Watcha planning?

Well I have a pair of yellow labs n a ob peacock cichlids pair n I want a frontosa, rams, naybe a few Malawi blue cichlids idk I dnt have the room to put two tanks n I have a 85 gallon one now

Italy592 said:
Well I have a pair of yellow labs n a ob peacock cichlids pair n I want a frontosa, rams, naybe a few Malawi blue cichlids idk I dnt have the room to put two tanks n I have a 85 gallon one now

I think it would be chaos...

I had a juvenile frontosa in my Malawi tank for a while when my mates tank broke, no issues really! On the long run I would keep fronts in a species only tank though. Malawis are like pitpulls there fronts are sweet calm Guinea pigs, they're way too shy to be happy in there!

Yes, it is. Many reasons.... pH, hardness, diets, aggressiveness, etc. Rams have no business and won't survive long at all in a rift tank.

HN1 said:
Yes, it is. Many reasons.... pH, hardness, diets, aggressiveness, etc. Rams have no business and won't survive long at all in a rift tank.

Thats what I thought. My cousin uses ro/di water for hers. They are SUPER picky.

So frontosa n malawi mbuna is not a good idea is what u guys r saying

I ve got a frontosa in my tank along with a 12 malawis and he's been fine. I know two other people who have more mature and greater number of malawis and the frontosa s are doing great… they re actually funny enough their favourite fish. I think your over thinking the problem and they ll be fine. Throw them in the tank and it ll be ok. Lol.

Fronts might be ok... never tried it and never will. I have kept fronts though and they should be kept in a group. "Throw them in the tank and they'll be fine" is a bit optimistic and naive.

Spoor3773 said:
I ve got a frontosa in my tank along with a 12 malawis and he's been fine. I know two other people who have more mature and greater number of malawis and the frontosa s are doing great… they re actually funny enough their favourite fish. I think your over thinking the problem and they ll be fine. Throw them in the tank and it ll be ok. Lol.

Or they might be eaten alive ;)

Keeping frontosa s with Malawi s has always worked for everyone I know. I think you ve got more to worry about the Malawi s fighting within themselves. Mine s been in the tank 6 months and has nt even had his fin s nipped in a scrap with the others and as a consequence I ve probably got one of the best looking fish available in the tank with the best genre of fish.

Congrats on keeping a fish that lives for 25 years plus for 6 months. You must be right.

Back
Top Bottom