'Lamprologus' multifasciatus build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Mexican turbo snail shells, usually can get them for free from an LFS that sells saltwater, but if the dead snail is still inside and you catch a whiff of it, prepare to vomit lol escargot are definitely the way to go

They are about the size of a golf ball. Also once they are in the tank and if a multi is in the shell never lift the shell out of water because it will get an air pocket and the multi can get stuck in the air pocket and die. I found this out the hard way. After that if i had to move a fish to another tank i would use a cup and transfer the shell under water to the cup. I never figured out a way to catch these guys after they had shells.

They are about the size of a golf ball. Also once they are in the tank and if a multi is in the shell never lift the shell out of water because it will get an air pocket and the multi can get stuck in the air pocket and die. I found this out the hard way. After that if i had to move a fish to another tank i would use a cup and transfer the shell under water to the cup. I never figured out a way to catch these guys after they had shells.

Wait so how do you remove the initial air?

Okay see that makes sense. I just dont wanna start by killing fish!

I dont think they would just go in to an air pocket I lifted the shell out of the water with one in the shell and some of the water came out. I just droped the shell back in but didnt make sure i got the air out. My dumb mistake.

I have an ac20 and an ac50 on my 15 with the flow turned almost all the way down and sponge on both intakes. The 20 is just a seeded filter for my quarantine tank or what ever i need seeded filter for. I dont use any power heads. Nothing stays in one place with these guys for long. I love watching them bulldoze shells around with their nose.

I have an ac20 and an ac50 on my 15 with the flow turned almost all the way down and sponge on both intakes. The 20 is just a seeded filter for my quarantine tank or what ever i need seeded filter for. I dont use any power heads. Nothing stays in one place with these guys for long. I love watching them bulldoze shells around with their nose.

Haha nice. I guess I can go for the AC's

Yeah, they literally move the entire sand bed. I don't use a powerhead and my flow is actually pretty calm, I've had no problems.

They way I've been told to catch shellies (untested personally though) is to get a separate tank, and fill it with tank water. This tank can be small. Put a drinking glass upside down in the center. Place the shell with the Shellie inside on top of the glass, they apparently don't like being perched high, and will swim out, but won't swim back up and into the shell. You then can remove the shell, and do this with the next. Eventually all the shellies you are trying to catch are in the bottom of the second tank. Again, I haven't tried this yet, and my shellies rarely hide in their shells anymore

Thanks Freakgecko! Would these shells work? If they are big enough!?

Attachments

• 165225.jpg
    165225.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 57
Thanks Freakgecko! Would these shells work? If they are big enough!?

yep as long as they are big enough and it don't hurt to have some smaller ones for fry to hide in when the start swimming around

You want them to be at least the size of a ping pong ball, and the opening to be about 3/4" to 1" in diameter at the minimum

Back
Top Bottom