Lava rocks for Apistogramma tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't use anything that will raise ph, I have the ground guys on constant look out for "cool rocks".. Free is good!

Is this for your panduro setup? I think apistos look their best when you try to replicate the look of their natural environment. Plenty of wood, a sandy substrate, a couple small riverstones, plants, a few well placed caves and oak or almond leaves. I wouldn't use maple it will actuall do the opposite of what you want to accomplish. If I can find the article about leaves for the aquarium I'll link it. Manzanita also does a great job of looking like roots I buy mine from online craft supplier, it's way cheaper than from the store.

Yeah I didn't think there was to much in the way of plants. I know it is sandy, has plenty of decaying matter, leaves and such. Branches maybe some wood.

Lots and lots of dead leaves, up to a few few feet deep of just leaves. Some plants but mostly those that hang from the bank and into the water and some swampy grass. I will try to find some pictures of collection points.

85813-albums13956-picture66495.jpg

This is from Tom C, not sure where from but on an expedition. These are the kinds of streams you will find Apisto's. Kinda gives you an idea.

85813-albums13956-picture66496.jpg

Another picture from Tom C. More of an up close so you can see the bottom and the fine sandy whitish/light colored substrate. Leaves and branches.

Well since we have so many experts here I guess you don't need the input of someone who has been keeping, breeding and studying apistos for more than 20 years and has collected them from their habitats on a few occasions so I hope your tank turns out well brookster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is this for your panduro setup? I think apistos look their best when you try to replicate the look of their natural environment. Plenty of wood, a sandy substrate, a couple small riverstones, plants, a few well placed caves and oak or almond leaves. I wouldn't use maple it will actuall do the opposite of what you want to accomplish. If I can find the article about leaves for the aquarium I'll link it. Manzanita also does a great job of looking like roots I buy mine from online craft supplier, it's way cheaper than from the store.
that's pretty much exactly what I got going on now!! Minus the almond leaves of coarse, I'm going to hit the garden supply after work for some peet and leaves hopefully!

What kind of snide remark is that Gillie? You upset that somebody else answered the question cause it kind of looks like it. I'm under the understanding there are little to no plants most places apisto's are collected. I thought most of the plant matter in there was decaying. If you know otherwise I'd love to know, but in speaking with Apisto people such as Mike Wise who is here locally and David Soares and then seeing expedition pictures, I didn't think there many plants. Still kind of a crap remark, you sound like Eeyore, Whoa was me.

What kind of snide remark is that Gillie? You upset that somebody else answered the question cause it kind of looks like it. I'm under the understanding there are little to no plants most places apisto's are collected. I thought most of the plant matter in there was decaying. If you know otherwise I'd love to know, but in speaking with Apisto people such as Mike Wise who is here locally and David Soares and then seeing expedition pictures, I didn't think there many plants. Still kind of a crap remark, you sound like Eeyore, Whoa was me.

Yes, yes I over reacted it was a bad week for me and I apologize. That being said not all habitats are barren, the pantanal for example is lush with growth, but the plants for blackwater setups the plants would replicate overhanging or flooded flora and break up line of sight more, if the water happened to be to dark then floating plants could be used.
Yes Mike is a great guy and helped me a lot over the years, but I won't get started on Mr soares.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mike is awesome and I'm lucky enough to see him at some of our local meetings. He is Mr. Apisto and a great guy to ask any questions about them. What's the deal with David if you don't mind me asking?

And no worries. And I prefer plants for all of my apisto tanks as much as I'd like them to look natural, I love planted tanks.

Back
Top Bottom