LED Lighting Recomendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grubbdub

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I am new to this forum.. Just joined today! I have a 46 gal bow front stocked with a variety of African cichlids. I have 10 years of aquarium industry experience... However that was a good 7-ish years ago. Needless to say, I am pretty uneducated on the new LED technology..

Do you guys have any recommendations on good, yet reasonable lighting set-ups? I'm not looking to keep plants. I do like the daylight/moonlight features.. Any help would be much appreciated!

I've had the Marineland double bright and the Aqueon FW version and personally I'd go with the Aqueon. The color is more white, where the Marineland is more blue. Aqueon also is much brighter and has a better "shimmer" to it. The Aqueon also has a couple of red bulbs which help make the fish "pop" more than the Marineland.
The Aqueon doesn't have a moonlight but the Marineland does.
That's my 2 cents.

Thanks so much!!! I was looking at those two options earlier. I see the marineland double bight only has one electrical connection, so the moonlight option would have to be controlled manually, rather than with a timer. You know you spend so much money on these gorgeous fish, you want their color to really pop! Thanks a bunch!

First welcome to the forum.

I run the marine land double bright LED fixture on my 75 gallon African cichlid tank. Peacocks and Mbuna tank.

Just took this now

image-1278580879.jpg

Last edited:
I am undergoing a major overhaul on my tank that is now 15 years old. I have a few peacocks and assorted mbuna on order. I'm pretty excited to get the tank stocked again. Over the years I haven't replaced the fish that I have lost. All I have now is a large Synadontis Eupteris (sp?), striped Raphael Cat and pleco. So I'm anxious to get some color back in the tank!

I really appreciate all of your advice/recommendations!

Wow! Your tank is gorgeous! Lie the black substrate. I was considering swapping my neutral
Gravel/crushed coral out for black. Looks sharp!

Thanks so much!!! I was looking at those two options earlier. I see the marineland double bight only has one electrical connection, so the moonlight option would have to be controlled manually, rather than with a timer. You know you spend so much money on these gorgeous fish, you want their color to really pop! Thanks a bunch!

The Marineland has a 3 way switch. All colors, off, and just the blues, if I remember right. I can get the Marineland double tomorrow (it's on my moms tank now) and take pictures for a side by side if you want.

Sure! I like to see photos of everyone's tanks. Gives me new creative ideas. I would love to get more Texas holy rock, but it's soo pricey!

Aqueon
img_2345964_0_4fdf416b8208883477d116deb6efae0f.jpg

Doublebright
img_2345964_1_fc211c4f72a785fc57930060f5531299.jpg

Both were taken with the white balance adjusted to the plastic pipe for each picture. The Marineland is only a 24" fixture.

That does look nice.. I was reviewing some YouTube videos.. It looked like the moon light setting is really dark.. Do you feel that way too?

On the double bright that is. I think I'm leaning towards the aqueon.

I don't use moonlights so I couldn't tell ya, the Aqueon doesn't have a moonlight. The only thing I don't like with the Aqueon is the power switch is about 6 inches from the plug in, but if you use a xmas timer it doesn't really make a difference.

Ahhhh... So I may need a separate unit.. Decisions decisions! Thanks for the photos!!

Back
Top Bottom