Lets play "NAME! THAT! FISH!" (ID Help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey folks,

I'm having trouble figuring out what my two newest dudes are. Hopefully one of you might know.

As I recall, this first one was labeled as a purple 'lumpina'?! 'lumpinga'?! I cant really remember the name, but it was something around those lines. This LFS is notorious for displaying incorrect names though so I wouldnt be surprised if they were off.

The second fish, IMO, looks pretty similar to the first, but with a little different coloring. They both have that striping that goes through the face (reminds me of a kribensis), which is why I was thinking the second is a hybrid of the first, or at least that they're from the same family.

I got both from the same LFS, but the second was in an assorted tank (another clue as to why i thought hybrid).

So without further delay, LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!! lol

Any and all help is appreciated!!

Thanks!!
-Ronnie

Attachments

• image-610548883.jpg
    image-610548883.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 125
  • image-472078797.jpg
    image-472078797.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 119
Hey ronnie! Long time no see! Lol i am NOT a cichlid guy soooooo my guess is ram. Lol jk, idk

Yep agree with garfy, the fish on the right is definitely a Lab Hongi. Fish on the left looks a sub-dom cynotilapia afra, which variant am not to sure.

THANKS FOR THE HELP HOMIES!!

the second is def a hongi, but after looking at pics of ntekete & mbenji i gotta rule those out for number one .. my dude is legit PURPLE (he was dark for the picture) .. i'm gonna take a ride out to the LFS tomorrow to try and get the actual name they had on the tank if we're still stumped by then .. maybe that would help.

thanks again for the help guys!!

and WHATS UP NU NU!! i havent had anything to post about cuz my tanks been doing awesome LOL hope all is well

Ronnie. Long time no see, hopefully everything has been good.

Good looking fish and I definitely agree with the Hongi. I'm trying to figure out that first one for you. Any chance you can another pic?

Yours looks to be a sub-dom male, so he's not going to look like a mbenji or ntekete which are in their full breeding dress. He may not be either but the barring certainly indicates some variant of afra, see what your LFS says :D hopefully that will help you out man.

thanks mad!! i'm def gonna go back cuz i'm off tomorrow with nothing to do lol you may be right, i've been known to be wrong so i shouldnt have ruled anything out yet haha

and freaker i been great .. FINALLY had a succesful shoulder surgery and i now have a bearded dragon & russian tortoise that i dig very much

hope all is well with you too!!

((-- hope the new pics help .. except the last two of my new gold nugget pleco .. i just wanted to show him off lol --))

Attachments

• image-4289804030.jpg
    image-4289804030.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image-496796904.jpg
    image-496796904.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1596716135.jpg
    image-1596716135.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3556229123.jpg
    image-3556229123.jpg