Let's see your parrot cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cragg616

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Let's see some love for parrot cichlids! Here's my blood red and yellow parrot cichlids! Of all my fish by far my favorite!

Sent from my Z740 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1398563266866.jpg
    1398563266866.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 168
Let's see some love for parrot cichlids! Here's my blood red and yellow parrot cichlids! Of all my fish by far my favorite!

Sent from my Z740 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brace yourself here come the high and mighty "parrot cichlids are an abomination" people lol. I like them is it a cruel creation ? Maybe a little but as long as people like them they will be in hobby

What's wrong with parrot cichlids?

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nothing at all!!! However many true hobbyists dont believe in keeping them because it encourages more of them to be bred and sold. Send parrots are a hybrid and because of that they are actually deformed. They cant close their mouth and because of this dont have the ability to bite to defend themselves from other cichlids in an aquarium. They also often have too small of gill flap covers and because of thay can be prone to infection and diseases. They are a pretty fish but do not occur naturally in the wild they care completely man made and because of this many hobbyist believe it is unethical to keep them.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398780241.933709.jpg

And with the topic on it being inhumane to breed them studied were made to show that it doesn't bother the fish because they don't know better. (With the mouth deformity). I believe a major problem is that people go to fish stores,
Don't realize that this fish gets around 7 inches and because it looks pretty put it in a 20-30 gallon. When it actually required a 55 or above. Amazing fish, hard to keep as juvies, maybe that's because when I received her she was sick. But 3 years later this fish is amazing.

Actually most of them can't reproduce they are a hybrid from a red devil and sever um and usually the babies can't reproduce like when u breed a horse and donkey to get an *** the *** can't breed because its sterile. I had one constantly try to breed with a convict but couldnt . It does happen on rare occasions but 99% of them are sterile. Yes I agree with the impulsive purchasing ppl do not realizing how big they get

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea my bad but you know what I meant haha yeah my female con would drop eggs for him but he was like a lil boy not knowing what to do with them but he tried haha yeah they do in rare occasions though you get jellybeans from a con and parrot

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

7" ??? I've seen one that was easily 9" and 2 lbs.. It was getting it's but whooped by a bunch of convicts and a 12" bala shark.. Saddest tank nice ever seen.. 100 gallon at a paint store.. Oh yah 2 10" Pleco's too, at one point the parrot had a huge Pleco dump sitting on it's head.. The parrot seemed to have trouble moving..

Back
Top Bottom