Let's talk africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I am getting another 55 today, and decided that I am going to go african. My husband really wants these red/orange peacocks, and christmas fulus. How many of each would be good in this tank, and are these two fish compatible? Also, this may sound dumb, but can I keep yellow labs and/or white scolofis with the other two? If so, how many of each would be a good idea for this tank? Also, could I keep and loaches or catfish with these guys? TIA!!

*Please forgive any ingnorance in the above post, I am new to africans, and don't know very much about them at all. Thats why I am doing research now :D *

hsherman1986 - also how is your water (ph and hardness)? What type of filtration do you plan on using for your tank? Cichlids are messy eaters, even the smaller African's.

Peacocks are one of the least aggressive African species, so care must be taken when choosing tankmates. I've kept acei and yellow labs with them without trouble, but can't say if the the other species you've mentioned would be okay.

Christmas fulu's I have 3 of them and they are VERY aggressive. I also have the Aulonocara Rubenscens which are not aggressive at all. I would not keep these two species in a 55 gal together. I have 125 gal and the Fulu's can still terrorize many of the other fish at times. The difference is there is a lot more room to hide in a 125 than a 55. Keeping these two fish together will result in trouble for the peacocks.

i have a peacock in with cobalts, yellow labs, kenyii, socolofi, acei, auratus, venustus, jacob freiburg, borieli, bumblebee, fulleborni, etc. and They all get along great. Of course, it IS a 125 so that could be something to do with it. Most of my cichlids have been together for a couple of years, i have had no problems. The only thing i would say is get them all the same size! ^_^

Well, I basically keep my ph at around 8.0 and the temp is 78-80 degrees, some good chunks of driftwood, some decent caves made of lava rock, TONS of plants, live(floating) and plastic, and around 5 gallons of water per fish.
I typically feed them cichlid attack, Spirulina and omega food, and occasionally, seeweed salad. For africans, there is some awesome stuff at bigalsonline.com for buffering the water, its called Kent cichlid buffer and cichlid chemistry. hope all that helps!

I haven't decided on the filtration. Any suggestions there? THe 55 I have been running for the past year has been running with 2 HOBs, both rated for 55g tanks.

The PH in most of my tanks is around 7.0 (my tanks that have driftwood are a little but lower, around 6.8). I planned on using crushed coral to raise the PH (I read that that will do it, please correct me if I am wrong).

I guess I will count out the fulus for now. SO I can keep the peacocks with yellow labs and the whie scolofi's? How many of each should I get? Also, should I add them all at once, or one species at a time? If one at a time, what order should I add them in?

And thanks for the link MyCatsDrool. I will look at that now.

hsherman1986 said:
I haven't decided on the filtration. Any suggestions there? THe 55 I have been running for the past year has been running with 2 HOBs, both rated for 55g tanks.
I'd get a cannister filter, like a Rena XP3 and run it with one of the HOBs. Africans are really messy fish, so you'll want to overfilter alot.

The PH in most of my tanks is around 7.0 (my tanks that have driftwood are a little but lower, around 6.8). I planned on using crushed coral to raise the PH (I read that that will do it, please correct me if I am wrong).
CC does raise the pH and hardness. :) I'm not sure how far up it will take the pH from 7, but it should be enough for Africans. Most Africans that are tank bred will be fine in a pH of around 7.4, and maybe even 7.0 as long as its stable.

I guess I will count out the fulus for now. SO I can keep the peacocks with yellow labs and the whie scolofi's? How many of each should I get? Also, should I add them all at once, or one species at a time? If one at a time, what order should I add them in?

And thanks for the link MyCatsDrool. I will look at that now.
If you keep those 3 together, I'd make sure you have more peacocks and labs than socolofis (more of each group). Albino socolofis are still more aggressive than labs and peacocks. I keep the 3 of these together in a 55g along with c. afra cobue and while the socolofis are not the most aggressive ones in the tank (that prize goes to the afra cobue males), they are the next aggressive. I have seen them chase the labs and peacocks some, but mostly they chase each other.

You can keep yellow labs with peacocks quite happily IMO.

With cichlids a cannister is a must. They get rather messy, esp as they grow. I didn't believe that until mine got to breeding age.

mine are poop monsters. i have 3 HOB filters on a 60 gal tank and it isn't enough.

I remember always reading that ARLC tanks required a 6x to 7x tank volume turnover rate per hour (i.e. filtration (in gallons per hour) must equal or exceed 6 to 7 times the tank volume). I never met these requirements (until recently) and always wondered why I had algae issues. Seriously, use a canister (or multiple canisters) filter with a large tank. Don't hesitate to over-filter. It can't hurt and will likely help you out a lot :)

so sounds like a canister and HOB will be my best bet. How does 3-4 peacocks, 1-2 labs, and 1-2 scolofis sound? Or is that too many fish?

I would consider that to be understocked. The number of peacocks is fine, but the Labs and Socolofi should be kept in groups of at least 4, maybe even more for the Labs. 1M/3F for the Socolofi. Sex ratio doesn't matter as much with Labs. Most peacocks grow fairly large and they may eventually need a larger tank.

For filtration, I have 2x Eheim 2217 on my 55G. My 58G has a 2217 and a 2213. Neither tank has HOBs, but do have powerheads (AC50 for water movement).

4 each of 3 species? Absolutely...

Just keep an eye on the male Socolofi...they can be a real PITA if given the chance.

cool. Unless I hear from the guy within the next couple days, it doesn't look like I will be getting the tank. But now I know for future referece what I can get :D thanks guys!!

maxwell1295 said:
Just keep an eye on the male Socolofi...they can be a real PITA if given the chance.

Only if you don't put a bigger bully in the tank! That's where my Kenyii come in!

ooh, also, forgot to ask, could I keep a catfish, or type of loach with these guys? How bout a pleco? Does it have to be a pleco, or could I get a farlowella or something? Or should I just leave them to themselve? (I am a bottom feeder fanatic, I love them, and I want them in all my tanks :D :lol: )

I've seen African Cichlid tanks with plecos (mostly bristlenoses), Synodontis cats, and loaches (Clown and Yoyo). I have Synos in both of my Mbuna tanks...

i think i may have a new plan then. I might hold off the africans until I upgrade my clown loaches. I will be building them a 150-200g tank. Hmm...ok, so what can I do with that? :D

Back
Top Bottom