lfs has some apistogrammas, have some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wagz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I have a 75 gallon heavily planted tank. Currently have lf zebra danios, sterbai cory's, zebra otos, threadfin and celebes rainbows, and some blue eye forktail (furcata) rainbows, still small. I recently purchased 2 german blue rams. Think they are both males. A little chasing, nothing lethal. Anyway my lfs has just gotten in some apistogramma: cacatuoides, agassizii double red, and trifasciata blue. They are young and not too colored yet. Sexing may be difficult, but not impossible. I was hoping to get two pair, probably the cacatuoides, along with the agassizii double red, but may the trifasciata blue. Questions are will there be issues with my other fish? Is this too many with the current blue rams. Do you recommend just one additional pair? I would wait to see how one pair does, but these go fast and they can't get them often. Also, not interested in breeding at this point. Any suggestions and which species?
Thanks,
Doug

Danios are pretty active so if the apistos are hiding I would remove the danios.

OK, but I've been reading that more than one type of apisto could be bad. True? Stay with just one type?

After some googling, it appears only one species should be kept in one tank. ph 7 to 7+, the cockatoo and agg double red are both so cool looking, hard to choose.

I personally find the apisto. Agassizi double red cichlids prettier since they have a blue body. Mine doesn't hide at all they are active but when I fist got him for the fist week he was shy. They are good community fish! They eat a wide range of food they would get along with the GRBS but I would get all males for they are a lot prettier and aren't that territorial. More than one type isn't bad at all may inter breed so get one sex, but they won't inter breed with the GBRS. I'd say 3-4 MORE apistos. For your tank since it is heavily planted. Don't remove the dianos they will be fine. Apistos. Are awesome fish! ;) I hope you will get more and show me the pictures!

So googling more, probably best to keep one type of apisto. Cockatoos, (now that i know what it means its much easier to spell), I guess are not too aggressive and look good. the Aggasazii double reds look good too. I'm thinking of trying to get two males as problems seem to happen once spawning starts. It may be hard to sex them at their age. The fish store almost doesn't want to help, it's like they want you to end up with females, since so many of their species they carry-the prettier males get bought up, and they're stuck trying to get rid of plain females. Anyways, any suggestions. Oh, what about my six cory's?Water is 79f. Usually was in the 7.6-7.8ph range, but was a 7 last time I checked. I did add quite a bit of manzanita branches. no idea on kh, but I bet its on the upper end. Buffalo water pluse lots of seiryu stone.have a kit but haven't used. Any votes?

So googling more, probably best to keep one type of apisto. Cockatoos, (now that i know what it means its much easier to spell), I guess are not too aggressive and look good. the Aggasazii double reds look good too. I'm thinking of trying to get two males as problems seem to happen once spawning starts. It may be hard to sex them at their age. The fish store almost doesn't want to help, it's like they want you to end up with females, since so many of their species they carry-the prettier males get bought up, and they're stuck trying to get rid of plain females. Anyways, any suggestions. Oh, what about my six cory's?

Cory's are good I Prefer plecos but all the same ;) they will be fine together my double red likes my 2 plecos they are all good. My lfs has all their dwarfs (in 5-6 tanks) with schools of Cory's so good luck!

Trifasciata are a bit feisty, just a heads up. I prefer agassizi :) and I would say stick to one pair, although be prepared to take them back as your rams may not like them in their territoy

OK, more googling, it is unclear weather I would be better off with a pair, or two males. Not interested in breeding. lot of sites recommend pairs or 1 to 2. Some say 1 male is ok. trying to avoid agreesion of breeding female spawning. some say males will just fight another male and won't show much color without female. Also, would it be better to get males of a different species, like 1 cockatoo and an agasazii. Any advice?

Perfect 2 same males = fighting 2 different males will still chase a little over territory's as expected so perfect!

Not always true, I've had two cacatuoides males get along just fine (with two females in the tank) and my male trifasciata terrorized them to the point one died and the other was promptly rehomed. Depends on the species involved, the setup, the other inhabitants, etc etc

Back
Top Bottom