Light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well most of you know what I've been dealing with, all the fish that have passed due to what I believe was a horrible onslaught of Columnaris and the breakdowns of my tank, re homing, QTing etc...etc...etc...

Well no deaths to report for 2 weeks now and I slowly turned the heat up to about 73 degrees over the weekend. And over the week I'll bring it back up to about 76-78.

Anyway everyone looks good and nobody is showing.

So.... After all this!! All the deaths and suffering and all of you that have helped me keep my head up. All of you that have been behind me and offering your advice and caring enough to ask and some of you even PM'd me!! Some even texted me!!

Well I have news!!

BABIES!!! Yup!! How?! Through all that? The salt 2x a day, the Maracyn plus the Maracyn Two the lowered temps!!

And I come home tonight to find these little black fish swimming around hiding in the driftwood!! They look like my Moorii how can that be? I only have one and everyone was dying!! How did they get so big without me even knowing? The water changes. Some have made it. I tried to get pictures and will continue to! I'm so pumped! Now if I only knew the mother or father.

One question. What would a Cichlid look like if it was holding? One of my yellow labs the chin is puffed out like its mouth is full of food. It's creeping around the back and peeking out of one of the caves. I'm gonna try and get a picture of her too!!

I still can't believe this. :)

Sorry for the bad pics. If you look close you can see the black Cichlid under the leave in the driftwood.

View attachment 75144

View attachment 75143

Last edited:
Yea DOG!!!! Convict, that is great!!! Congrats, this is your baby shower lol!!

Now you can keep them all too!! It sounds like your lab is holding, so now you wont have to restock either!!

I am THRILLED that your moori made it!! Awesome man!

If she is puffy in the chin and acting all sketchy shes holding...Dont be suprised if she dosnet keep them the whole time. Its common for the first round. You need to try and net her when she comes out to see the rest eat. She wont eat during this time. If you net her she needs to be put in Qt until she spits. Or you can strip her. If you want to know how ill tell you and show you some good vids.

Jmedic25 said:
If she is puffy in the chin and acting all sketchy shes holding...Dont be suprised if she dosnet keep them the whole time. Its common for the first round. You need to try and net her when she comes out to see the rest eat. She wont eat during this time. If you net her she needs to be put in Qt until she spits. Or you can strip her. If you want to know how ill tell you and show you some good vids.

Yeah this all new to me. Yeah a little help would be nice. She's very sketchy and lurking around watching me. Her shin is very puffy and her mouth and half open. Under side looks full like she has food in there. She hides in a cave. This is so cool!! After everything that went on this is great!! What are they black? There a little smaller then a dime!! But all black.

AWESOME!!

Great news on both fronts! I would say she's holding too. My fish have figured out ways to eat and hold, but just watch her. A swollen throat, the "chewing" motion as she tumbles the eggs, if she's acting shy...all good signs.

I'm so happy for you!!! Congratulations grandpa!

If you can net her without stressing her out too bad, let me know. I WOULD NOT break your tank down for some lab fry!!!!There is a good chance of her swallowing the first round anyway. IF you can net her, great...If not let her spit in the tank. You have many many hiding places, you wont think any survived and you will see some itty bitty lil yellow babies one day.

Jmedic25 said:
If you can net her without stressing her out too bad, let me know. I WOULD NOT break your tank down for some lab fry!!!!There is a good chance of her swallowing the first round anyway. IF you can net her, great...If not let her spit in the tank. You have many many hiding places, you wont think any survived and you will see some itty bitty lil yellow babies one day.

WHOO HOO!! Can't wait to see if any make it! Yeah I can't get her she's REAL sketchy and lurking around the cave. I'm just gonna let her be.

I stripped my lab about 4 weeks ago and the fry are about 1/2" now. you'll start to see them develop into the normal lab shape, it's pretty cool. congrats Dino!

It's possible some may survive in the main tank as you have a lot of cover.In my experience the only fry that have survived have been one's I stripped from the female, separated and then reintroduced at a later stage when big enough to survive.
Great news on the fry though :D

Is it possible I have TWO!!! Yellow labs holding?!? Because I DO!!! WHOO HOO!!! :)

What heck went on during all that treatment?! Hahaha!!

Back
Top Bottom