lighting questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.tetreault

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was just wondering what is the best type of lighting to show off colors for mbuna cichlids? right now i just have the bulbs that came with my hood when i bought my tank, they are sort of yellowish and kind of dull. I want something that will show colors true and bright. i dont have any plants to worry about, will i be able to just buy a different type of bulb or do i need to get a different light fixture? i know next to nothing about lighting so please explain everything :lol: its a 75 gallon tank.

What bulbs are in your light fixture, they should be stamped to say what they are, also check on the actual hood. Most likely you just have a fluorescent fixture, if you upgrade the fixture to a t5-ho you would be very impressed.

But start by listing what you have currently.

just checked they are fluorescent and the light fixture says fluorescent also, so i would need to buy a new fixture to get really good light? its not possible to switch just the bulbs?

You dont realy have to change anything if you dont want to.
You can buy the same type of bulbs but with a different color spectrum but maybe harder to find.
But T5 is efficient, low energy consumption,...

Do your bulbs flash when you turn them on? If not your lights will be T8 and you can know how much W it is by the length of them.

If you wana change to T5 you need a whole new fixture OR you can modify the existing one. New electronical ballast and sockets.
If you do that make sure everything is compatible!

Back
Top Bottom