List of compatible SA dwarfies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can someone provide me with a list of dwarfs cichlids that will get on such as apistos ramerizi etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anothet dwarf to go with your rams?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those rams are too comfortable now. I wouldn't want to move them.

Well since you're in the UK and usually have a better selection, what dwarves do you have available that we might be able to recommend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They'd be with fire mouths? Or just a mix of dwarf cichlids in a 47? If they have the whole tank? Pick one and do an lfs tank. . 10 males and 22 females!

Are you saying you have an empty tank that you want to add a bunch of SA dwarves to?

What are the dimensions of the tank?

I probably would not mix Apistos unless the tank is fairly large. If you did mix Apistos make sure you select Apistos from different groups so you can tell them apart.

What I would recommend if you want to put a bunch together and have the room is to get a species of apistos and maybe a laetacara species and some M. altispinosus. But the dimensions of the tank will drive that to a degree.

Well since you're in the UK and usually have a better selection, what dwarves do you have available that we might be able to recommend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not sure to be honest gillie. I would just like to know what dwarf cichlids can coexist together with little trouble then I will look at what is available. I'd have to go to a maidenhead aquatics which is quite a drive to see what they have.

They'd be with fire mouths? Or just a mix of dwarf cichlids in a 47? If they have the whole tank? Pick one and do an lfs tank. . 10 males and 22 females!

No brookster, I wouldn't put them in with the firemouths. I was just thinking if replacing the firemouths. They don't really do anything but hide under the rocks.

Are you saying you have an empty tank that you want to add a bunch of SA dwarves to?

What are the dimensions of the tank?

I probably would not mix Apistos unless the tank is fairly large. If you did mix Apistos make sure you select Apistos from different groups so you can tell them apart.

What I would recommend if you want to put a bunch together and have the room is to get a species of apistos and maybe a laetacara species and some M. altispinosus. But the dimensions of the tank will drive that to a degree.

It would be empty if I got some dwarfs yes. Dimensions are 3 foot by 1 foot. 47 U.S gallon.

Thanks Dalto I'll have a look at what you have recommended.

No brookster, I wouldn't put them in with the firemouths. I was just thinking if replacing the firemouths. They don't really do anything but hide under the rocks.

No offense, just checking;) a huge colony of apistos would be my vote..

That's a shame My firemouths are always out chasing each other and flaring like firemouths usually do. When I go to feed they back off a little but slowly one by one come back out and stare until I feed then they could care less that im at the front of the tank. I use to have some Laetacara curviceps and they were fairly peaceful and active. I also have some Cleithracara maronii in a 30 and they are very interactive with me.

The problem you are going to have in a 3x1 tank is competition for the bottom territory. Most small SA cichlids are going to stay near the bottom. M. ramirezi and some laetacaras are the only ones I have kept that are more mid-swimmers.

In that tank I would consider maybe a nice trio of apistos, a single m. ramirezi and a single laetacara maybe. There are some other options but they are less common. You could then add something else to fill in the rest of the tank if you so desired.

That's a shame My firemouths are always out chasing each other and flaring like firemouths usually do. When I go to feed they back off a little but slowly one by one come back out and stare until I feed then they could care less that im at the front of the tank. I use to have some Laetacara curviceps and they were fairly peaceful and active. I also have some Cleithracara maronii in a 30 and they are very interactive with me.

What colour substrate is in your FM tank?

Its worth a try but you never know. I've had fish that were always afraid that everyone says were very personable when they had them.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

here is a quick video of them expecting food. The dominate one has a cave he stays in but he does come out often to harass the others if he see flaring going on.

The hardier ones, if you want to keep singles would be Laetacara curviceps and dorsinger, cockatoo dwarf cichlids and Bolivian rams. They should get on fine although if you keep one of each of the laetacaras make sure they're same sex.
Maidenhead Aquatics Is worth the journey, ring around all ones within a drivable distance and see what they have. I went to the Water Zoo in Peterbourgh on Sat, which was an amazing place, and I'm a 2 hour drive from there. I happened to be down there anyway. Check out their stock list online.
If you were looking to breed, if it were me I'd get a pair of Cockatoos or maybe a 1 m 2 f, and a couple of Angelfish for higher in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom