little white things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbaygurl78745

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I dont know if you can see in the pictures but i seem to have white particals in my water. My water levels are good ammo 0 trites 0 trates 20. The tank is home to a yellow lab a green terror a aff and a clown pleco. Any idea what they can be. All the fish seem to normal.. this is the first time ive seen this tank in over a week as fir my son being in philly. But my hubby does the normal weekly water changes. Ijust dont know what these particals are

ForumRunner_20121207_174824.jpg

ForumRunner_20121207_174839.jpg

ForumRunner_20121207_174855.jpg

Edit i forgot theres a yellow tail acei as well

Are you talking about the stuff on the glass? That's all I can see other than it looks like it needs a good water change. The white stringy things on the glass grow on mine aswell, they pose no harm and I'm not sure what it is. Maybe some type of algae I just clean mine off.

Are you talking about the stuff on the glass? That's all I can see other than it looks like it needs a good water change. The white stringy things on the glass grow on mine aswell, they pose no harm and I'm not sure what it is. Maybe some type of algae I just clean mine off.

My hubby whips the glass every other day n just seems always come back( or maybe hes not doing it n telling me is). We do 40% change weekley n once a mouth we do a big 75-80% change but u cud be right maybe he isnt doing a as good of a job as id like. Ill try doing a 30 n 30 change.could it be food particals bc my aff is a messy messy eater n foods always coming out his gills. Or maybe my hubby has missed a cleaning.. now i feel bad for my fishys. Thank god theres no dangerous levels.

I did clen the glass n did a water change to realize the stuff was coming out my filter. So panic me i went got them a new filter glad i have 2 hobs so hoping it wont cause a mini cycle i have since showed my hubby how to test the water n told him for trites n ammo any thing above 0 needs a water change n my trates sud drop having taken away one of the filters right? Regardless i still told him if they go above 20 water change. My hubby love the fish but not wen it comes to the work part he dnt mind helping me do water changes but he dnt like the whole counting drop to test. So i throw away my spare test strips so he cnt get lazy lol. So thank you.. Andrew u are awesome. Does my gt look skinny? He`s kinda a baby. Thats why hes with the yellow tail n electric yellow lab bc my jack had babies n wud leave mr gt alone. Thanks again andrew. Also where u the one with the beautiful gold nugget pleco sum1 showed me theres and it was amazibg i had gotten it just didnt look right when i got him n it seemed as tho he rotted from the inside out within a week of getting. N my water was fine. He was house with gbr (wild caught) n angels so i know my levels werent off.

Really thanks again andrew. Im getting bak on the road again to b wit my boy i told my hubby if he had any questions to just get on this thred n ask. ( wen i firest helped him set up his tank in his shop he thought to test the water u used the whole tank n started putting drops in ekk)

I dont know if you can see in the pictures but i seem to have white particals in my water. My water levels are good ammo 0 trites 0 trates 20. The tank is home to a yellow lab a green terror a aff and a clown pleco. Any idea what they can be. All the fish seem to normal.. this is the first time ive seen this tank in over a week as fir my son being in philly. But my hubby does the normal weekly water changes. Ijust dont know what these particals are

Edit i forgot theres a yellow tail acei as well

If they move around they're tiny little worms I believe called planaria. They're usually due to over feeding from what I've been told. Make sure whoever does the weekly tank cleaning is also doing a good vacuum if need be vacuum half the tank really well one week & the other half the following week.

If they move around they're tiny little worms I believe called planaria. They're usually due to over feeding from what I've been told. Make sure whoever does the weekly tank cleaning is also doing a good vacuum if need be vacuum half the tank really well one week & the other half the following week.

Ty i dont think they were moving but just incase it was them should i dose my tank for paristes? Are these harmful to the fish? I did a 30% change filled back up did another 30% vacumming one side with one 30% n other side with other 30% than went and got a new filter. I have made a water change check list for my hubby

Ty i dont think they were moving but just incase it was them should i dose my tank for paristes? Are these harmful to the fish? I did a 30% change filled back up did another 30% vacumming one side with one 30% n other side with other 30% than went and got a new filter. I have made a water change check list for my hubby

If they are the worm things they will more than likely be food for the Cichlids. Pull out the filter floss, pad or sponge you use and see if you see any of them.

Ill get white stuff that kicks out of my canister, or sump filters, but that's because they have tubes that grow stuff in them on the return side. Then when the pump kicks on or off it sprays a bunch of white stuff out. So it could just be that the filter and tubes needs a good cleaning.

Replacing the one filter I wouldn't think you would have a mini cycle but its possible.

The pleco wasn't mine lol I tryed to keep a bn pleco and I haven't seen it in months.

I might be too late to comment. You are doing certain excessive water changes. A weekly water change is not necessary and if you do a weekly I wouldn't take more than 5-10%. Then a monthly of only 25-30%. You may think you are doing good by cleaning but you are taking out the good bacteria in the tank which breaks down the nitrates. Nitrates are adding to what looks cloudy in your tank. I would recommend getting a good filter and keep your heater on only 76-78. The warmer it is more growth (algae and bacteria) will occur.

I had this happen to. It's in your pipes most likely and is coming out of the canister filter. It shoots out every now and then yes? It's a clear skin looking type of stuff yes? It's likely a bacteria... Good bacteria... No need to worry about it. If you're using a dechlorinator then make sure you are using the correct amount.. Especially the stuff that has a slime coating for protection.

In addition, when you clean your filters try using aquatop clear magic when you add water

Ok thank u. I use prime. N my heater was set at 80 so it was just a bad combination of lil things. I every thing is starting to clear up now. Still a lil cloudy but diff better. Im gunna cut bak on my % for water change also so i dont keep having these bactria blooms. Thank u every1

Try flicking or thumping the canister pipes to see if anything happens. You are using prime which has a slime coat. I had the same issue. I was using to much prime and it created the slime coat in my pipes which came free and floated around. Prime is good but its jot necessary all the time. Maybe put a cap full in once a month. Otherwise just get some simple API dechlorinator drops.

Try flicking or thumping the canister pipes to see if anything happens. You are using prime which has a slime coat. I had the same issue. I was using to much prime and it created the slime coat in my pipes which came free and floated around. Prime is good but its jot necessary all the time. Maybe put a cap full in once a month. Otherwise just get some simple API dechlorinator drops.

That is not the case, it's just biofilm build up in the pipes. It's not from prime, it will happen in any canister regardless of the dechlorinator used. Prime is the best stuff out there and should be used with every water change. It also doesn't contain slime coat it has ingredients that promote a healthy slime coat.

I didnt think it was the prime other wise all my tanks would be like it. But mu hubby cleaned the pipes out good. He says it looks 100% better we shall see wen i go back home. Just glad we caught it befor any water levels got stressful for the fish. Thanks again everyone for the great advice like always :)

I might be too late to comment. You are doing certain excessive water changes. A weekly water change is not necessary and if you do a weekly I wouldn't take more than 5-10%. Then a monthly of only 25-30%. You may think you are doing good by cleaning but you are taking out the good bacteria in the tank which breaks down the nitrates. Nitrates are adding to what looks cloudy in your tank. I would recommend getting a good filter and keep your heater on only 76-78. The warmer it is more growth (algae and bacteria) will occur.

Im not sure where you heard this but, weekly water changes will not harm beneficial bacteria at all. There is a minimal amount of bb in the water column, most of it is in your filter media and decor/substrate. Doing weekly water changes of 25% or more is a great routine to follow, it will keep your water quality prestine and keep fish healthy.

Hi. Sorry for the late response. I am just seeing this now. I used to work at a chain petstore from 2006-2011 and it was what I was taught and experienced myself with my tanks. Good to know though, thanks. Though I will still stick to my 1x month at 25-40% water changes.

Back
Top Bottom