live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DerekMartinez

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just wondering can live plants grow with just gravel or do I need other substrate? Also I've never had any plants in my tank what all would I need to keep them alive and make them grow?

I have lots of java fern in my tank IMHO it's the easiest plant to grow. Just tie it to some driftwood and leave the light on for about 8 hours n ur good:). I also have some other plants but the names escape me! My neons enjoy eating one though! But my substrate is just gravel n eynr all healthy. I don't have any Co2 but do add somethingg called "plant grow" to the water every few days. Hope I helped!

What about the Seachem Flourish? Its for a planted tank, could I just use that or would I need something else to help it grow?

DerekMartinez said:
What about the Seachem Flourish? Its for a planted tank, could I just use that or would I need something else to help it grow?

Sorry I haven't heard of seachem flourish :( just ask at ur lfs

I use Anubias and java fern with no issues. I have sand/gravel mix. Cichlid sand as a base then gravel on top. I use API root tabs and then use Seachem flourish 2x a week.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16826

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4652

Hope this helps. Good luck.

EDIT:

Just to add, I get all my live plants from Petsmart, I like there return policy and since the staff knows me so well :) I can pretty much return anything if I don't like it.

Thanks convict ill probly end up getting the seachem. But I have a hard time finding anubias and Java fern here in Texas cuz Petsmart doesn't carry those. I don't have any lfs close to me so I don't like taking the drive only to come up empty handed lol

You will be able to grow most plants in gravel. It's easiest to start out with low light plants until you get a feel for it. Mostly to keep them alive you will want a daylight spectrum bulb in your light fixture. I have my lights on for 11 hours. It depends on your tank how long to leave the lights on. It's all about finding the balance in your tank with lighting so you don't get algae. Seachem flourish comprehensive is good for plants. you wont need much for low light plants and you wont need co2 for them either. when you get into the high light plants is when things get more complicated with fertilizing and co2 injection.

Alright sounds good fisheggs I don't need anything too complicated right now lol. But convict ill have to check carefully at Petsmart and see if I can find any of those plants. Thanks for the advice everyone. And if anyone else has their input I'd be glad to hear from you.

Back
Top Bottom