Local landscaping store rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have spent tons of money on Texas holly rock and other rocks, I realized getting rocks from a landscaping stored would be a lot cheaper. Would this be okay for my aquarium.

Most rocks from landscaping companies will be fine, way better than Texas Holey Rocks IMO since I prefer more natural looking rocks. Plus the maintenance is killer since that and ocean rock look horrible with algae on it.

Try the vinegar test to start with, then place the rock in a 5 gallon bucket with heater and pump and test parameters at beginning of week. At end of week check again, if no changes in water parameters, rock is fine to use.

just know what type of rock you're getting and look it up to make sure it's ok...some rocks contain things you don't want much of in your tank (use caution with red rocks, they could have a lot of iron...esp. avoid hematite)...about the only thing most sources will get wrong is telling you not to use limestone because of the carbonates, but with high ph aquariums it's not really a concern...you can do an acid test to make sure it's not too soluble if you like, but a hard limestone is ok...

...lots of beautiful chert out there...and if you would like a challenge you can knap it to the shape you want (file the edges, it's sharp)

Some rocks will have harmful things that'll leech out (iron, lead, zinc, ect.), but if you go with Yorkstone, Sandstone, or other natural rocks then more likely than not it'll be just fine. If you want to go with some fancy pricier rocks, then you'd be better off taking proper procedures to test them. As for limestone, most cichlid aquarists know it's actually great for the tank since it helps buffer the water and has a great look to it.

Thanks for the opinions guys! Would you guys mind giving me a lost of rocks I can use and the procedure you would go through to clean them and test them.
Thanks

i HAVE BEEN USING FEATHER STONE THAT i BUY AT THE LANDSCAPER YARD FOR YEARS WITH NO PROBLEMS , yOU CAN CARVE caves in it with a drill and a file ( do it outside it makes a mess) it takes a while till it sinks it is very light and filled with air , it is a type of lava
I buy it here in Oregon for 25 cents a lb and 5 lb will be enough for a 55 gal tank

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405216979.275676.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405217011.019855.jpg
Here's two interesting reads that have saved me more than a few times with rocks!
***FULL CREDIT TO MAXWELLAG***

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks everyone I actually just this week decided on lava rock and made a 40lb structure out If it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom