Locking lips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bully405Customz said:
Yeah as long as you feel better. Lol I've boycotted all the chain stores here. I'd rather not get anything then go tto them.

Same. Its sad, I am now boycotting all chain and lfs here as well. I rely on the internet for everything I need. Which is inconvenient and kinda sad. Especially when it comes to buying fish and having them shipped for a ton when I've never actually seen the fish.

...It's just a fight for dominance thing. Absolutely nothing to worry about. The fact that they're fighting with each other is probably a good thing; it means neither of them is getting bullied too much.

I agree with this. Lip locking is a test of strength and usually suggests they're evenly matched. Two evenly matched mbuna's generally can't harm each other.

It's when one of the participants gets beaten, doesn't engage in lip-locking again and flee's that the situation can take a turn for the worse. This loss of confidence (and hierachal rank) by the loser is extremely hard to regain.

I would take him up on the refund. They are really doing you wrong. If you sting them with the refund and that call to corprate it might make a difference. At least you could use the store credit or whatever to get lights filters, and all the other hardware you need. Heck you may get enough for a new tank for your Fronts!! You have an AC 110 thats cycled WHY NOT??

Jmedic25 said:
I would take him up on the refund. They are really doing you wrong. If you sting them with the refund and that call to corprate it might make a difference. At least you could use the store credit or whatever to get lights filters, and all the other hardware you need. Heck you may get enough for a new tank for your Fronts!! You have an AC 110 thats cycled WHY NOT??

Very true!!! I have 2 AC 110's!! :)

What size tank would I need for the pair of Fonts?

Im really not sure. Im not a front guy...but I have a friend that has some in a 55. Not sure if thats proper or not though

Jmedic25 said:
Im really not sure. Im not a front guy...but I have a friend that has some in a 55. Not sure if thats proper or not though

Hmmm... Well I'm gonna call corporate and raise you know what and then see what the LFS will offer me. Maybe I can swing the tank and set up an put it in the other room so I can keep them. I'm gonna tell them really how I feel as a concerned customer and as a fire chief. I'm very upset with this whole thing and how much stress it's causing me and my fish who probably just want to enjoy there home but can't due to the fact that so many different types are in there. I'm working hard on figuring out exactly what I have but it's hard since I'm so new to this hobby let alone Cichlid's.

I will!! It disturbs me because I really think the tank looks amazing with the fish in it. Now of only I had all the right kind and knew what they were!! I mean look at it! :(

View attachment 66340

So active and beautiful to look at. I just feel bad that there not happy or scared and stressed due to the mix. :(

I tried to count and it looks like 30 Cichlid's, 3 catfish and 6 giant danios.

Last edited:
I agree, they need to know that improper stocking is detremental to you and the fish. Also you should bring pics of how much youve spent on that tank in thier store. Prove to them what a good customer you are. Im behind you!

Bully405Customz said:
Me too. And awesome tank. You should come scape mine. :) you'd have fun in my 150. Lol

Haha! I'd love too!! Just remember I have OCD so I'd have to come back sit and watch for hours and probably move stuff around until I'm satisfied. :)

Jmedic25 said:
I agree, they need to know that improper stocking is detremental to you and the fish. Also you should bring pics of how much youve spent on that tank in thier store. Prove to them what a good customer you are. Im behind you!

Thanks brother!! :)

Convict2161 said:
Very true!!! I have 2 AC 110's!! :)

What size tank would I need for the pair of Fonts?

I have 11 frontosas in a 55gallon tank. I got them when they were about an inch long. My plan is to weed them down to 1m/4-5f and put them in a 74-120 gallon. My point is, they're fairly slow growing (compared to mbuna) so you could always start in a smaller tank and get bigger later. Mine started out in a 29g.

Same I have 13 in my 55 that started in a 29. Once mature they need a minimum of 120 for a small colony (about 5 fish) I plan on keeping a larger group and putting them in a 300g but will be moving them into a 100-120 here soon till I need to get a 300.

Back
Top Bottom