Look What I Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought them under false pretenses. They were all labeled as electric blue johanni :confused: knew that wasn't right immediately.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ya from what I can tell you have a red zebra (or strawberry peacock), a eureka red, 2 otopharanx lithobates, the dark one could be a red shoulder, or some kind of hybrid, and the white one I'm not sure, some type if Afra maybe.

Ya from what I can tell you have a red zebra (or strawberry peacock), a eureka red, 2 otopharanx lithobates, the dark one could be a red shoulder, or some kind of hybrid, and the white one I'm not sure, some type if Afra maybe.

The white is a deepwater hap, the eureka red is actually an ottor point, and the yellow/reddish is a red Crystal. It was just a group shot, I already knew what those guys were :) but ok so they are in fact lithobates then?

What about fish #3 being a borleyi?

bajede3u.jpg
he looks just like this, I think liveaquaria is confirming it lol.
Bad news, they can grow up to 8 in. If he doesn't get any bigger than 6 I won't have to rehome him.

Oh I know what that is, I can't remember it's not a borleyi AKA red fin Kandango they look like this. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397793686.117585.jpg

Oh I see, I'm not familiar with too many haps. Your right - Yellowfin Borleyi Cichlid, also known as Haplochromis barlowi,

Looking at the photo, it's definitely a Hap. Definitely could be a barlowi.

Hes a gorgeous navy blue with bright yellow fins. Love it. This is so exciting! I love when fish stores sell me awesome stock because they don't know what they are lol.

Hes a gorgeous navy blue with bright yellow fins. Love it. This is so exciting! I love when fish stores sell me awesome stock because they don't know what they are lol.

Oh ya, fish store ignorance is awesome. I've gotten quite a few good looking peacocks and my electric blue hap for 99 cents.

Is that what they look like even as juveniles? Because hes not even 2" yet.

I'm not entirely sure, but I would assume yes. Most hap males have some degree of their adult color their whole life in my experience. Basically what a hap looks like as a juvi is what they'll look like as an adult. The biggest difference is the adult fishes colors will be a lot deeper and pronounced

Oooh ok well regardless this little guy is super pretty. I just hope he doesn't outgrow my tank!

60 gal. But there's only 7 fish in it. Still, probably going to have to get rid of him unless I get another tank within the next 2 years.

60 gal. there's only 7 fish in it. Still, probably going to have to get rid of him unless I get another tank within the next 2 years, but its unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom