Looking for Advice from Discus keepers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm moving across the country in a few months, and so I'm probably gonna get rid of my AC's, rather than lugging them with me. I'm thinking about getting Discus, but have a few questions before I take the plunge and go buy an RO/DI unit-

-How quickly do discus grow?

-If I stock the tank (70g) with ~6 2-3" juvies, will I end up with a breeding pair or two by the time they mature? Would they breed successfully in the main tank, or would I need to move them to a bare 20g to get viable fry?

-Would a shoal be able to handle a move across town after a year?

-I have alot of lava rock as a background in my tank, and it's not coming out. (read as, it was such a time consuming pain in the ass to arrange and glue it in there, that I'd never take it out again) - Will the lava rock mess with the ro water? It's been in a tank for over a year, so it doesn't leach anything into the water now, but I have really hard water.

-What would be a good species to start with? If I want to breed them, should I get only a single species?

Thanks for any advice/answers you guys might have!

-J

Hi jratuszn :) I currently have 28 discus, including 2 breeding pair. I've found them to be the most rewarding species I've ever kept.

Discus will grow rapidly if fed properly and plenty of water is changed. They will grow from 2 to 4 inches in about 4 months and then the growth rate slows until they eventually reach 7 to 8 inches in about a year. Of course much depends on health and genetics.

The best way to grow out juvies is in a bare bottom tank. I use 29 gallons because it can be overwhelming to change enough water and keep their environment clean enough in larger tanks (especially one as large as a 75). Discus do best in large numbers and 6 (in a 29) is fine.

They will pair off and spawn in a main tank but the likelihood of any eggs hatching is rare. At least I haven't had it happen. They are hardier than most people think and will travel well and adapt to most water conditions easily. But they must have CLEAN well oxygenated water,

You can mix as many strains of discus as you like. A discus doesn't know if it's a pidgeon blood or blue diamond. It just knows it's a discus. There's alot to know about keeping discus in peak condition, but they aren't a difficult fish once you acquire the knowledge.

Thanks BrianNY-

Great info! How difficult was it, and how long did it take you, before you got your fish to first mate? Also, the reason I was asking about mixing species- if two dissimilar species breed, are their offspring less valuable?

Thanks!

-J

You're welcome jr. They will begin to spawn just over 4 inches. Very often a young female will lay eggs without picking a mate. Once they pair off, they will usually eat the first 2 or 3 spawns. It takes them awhile for them to get things right, and becomes a learning experience. For that reason, I let my fish spawn in the main tanks until they become egg guarders. Then they are moved to a 29g breeding tank.

Mixed strains are not less valuable. If you know anything about genetics, most of the offspring will resemble one of the parents. So Red Turq and a blue diamond mix may result in 75% being red turqs. However, they will carry a BD gene.

hey brian, do you have discus in a heavily planted tank? do they tear anything up? i'd really like to get a pair of wild greens for my 85 once it's set up, but i do not want them rearrange my plants.

Could anyone recommend some good species for a beginner? Something that looks nice, isn't too expensive (a relative term :) ) and might be a bit hardier? Ooh, and any recommendations for good breeders/suppliers in the New Orleans area would also be appreciated.

Thanks again!

-J

Discus will do well in a planted tank. They don't rearrange anything. I currently have 4 in my planted 125 (soon to add more). A word of caution though Mr Burns. Buy adult wild greens. They'll need less care than the juvies and you'll change less water.

i heard discus eat plants from the ebay plant seller person. but im sure he hasnt had any exp.

the adults are probally more mature/more developed.

I have a Discus Community tank with 5 Blue Diamonds. And the tank is fully palnted which they just love it! I have never heard about nor seen a Discus that eats plants. But considering mine get fed 4-5 times daily, they would be just too full to consider eating the plants, I guess. :wink:
And as with all Discus, they need the care of proper feeding and water changes to grow to their full potential.

Exactly right Annie :) . To get the best health (and growth), my juvies are fed 4 to 5 times daily. I also change 40%-50% of the water in juvie tanks daily. Having a tank void of plants and gravel makes it easier to keep everything CLEAN.

Once a discus reaches adulthood they can be fed less, and thus the water changes can be reduced. Do you have any pics to share Annie? Check my gallery for pics of some of mine. :D

Could anyone recommend some good species for a beginner? Something that looks nice, isn't too expensive (a relative term ) and might be a bit hardier? Ooh, and any recommendations for good breeders/suppliers in the New Orleans area would also be appreciated.

Thanks again!

-J

J, if you're talking about species of discus, there's only 1 species, Symphysodon aequifasciatus. Through selective breeding, different strains are developed. But they are all the same species.

Brian could prob. handle the issue of which strains are more hardy better than I. But... I believe that wild strains are usually less adaptable to water conditions dissimilar to the S. A. rivers they inhabit, and that tank-raised fish tend to be more forgiving in this sense. BUT, discus should be kept in very clean water no matter what. [/quote]

Back
Top Bottom