Looking for others opinions on my current cichlid set ups (90g and 40g)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arborist131

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello im new to this forum and relatively new to keeping cichlids. Im interested in hearing others opinions on my current tank set ups and things I could do to benefit my aquariums.

Ive got a 90 gallon (48''x18''x30'') aquarium with two HOB filters. One 70 gallon Aquaclear and one 60 gallon Aqua-tech, each hanging on the 18" wall opposite each other. For a substrate I used Cichlid Sand which helps keep the ph around 7.8-8.0. I do weekly gravel cleanings and water changes, doing about a 30% change. Soo far my aquarium looks really good and I dont seem to be having any problems, I would just like to have a better understanding of the water (ph, nitrites,nitrates etc). I have a basic understanding but if someone could point me in the direction of a good article explaining water basics.

In my 90 gallon I have:
3 - Red Top Zebras (3-4")
1 - Red Top Hongi (3")
1 - Green Terror (5")
1 - Bumblebee (4")
1 - Fancy Zebra Mix (4")
2 - Neon Jewels (3-4")
1 - Maingano (3")
1 - Psuedotropheus Elongatus Jewel? (4") (will post a picture at a later date for help identifying)
2 - male Venustus (4-5") (I think their 2 males, but could turn out to be 1 male 1 female)
5 - female Venustus' (4-6")
1 - Large sailfin Pleco. (8-10")

I didnt really know what I was doing at first, all I understood was that cichlids were kind of aggressive but could live among one another as long as they were from the same lakes or something. I now have come to realize that its not true but would like someone to explain it a little more based around my current fish. I realize the Green Terrors from South America but I really like him and he shows the others who's boss now and then. (will post photo of tank at a later date, its got a couple lava rocks with holes drilled through them and some slate and river rock to make lots of hiding places)

In my 40 gallon setup:
1 - 2'' yellow lab
1 - 4'' Red Top Zebra (was in the 90 gallon but was always the picked on one, so i removed him, also he has some black pigment "growth", not a parasite just a pigment problem i believe.)
2 - Yellowfin Acei (1 looks amazing and the other is slower growing/duller colouring, possibly female?)
2 - 2" Red Top Zebras (was trying for females but dont think I got any, think Im just going to be stuck getting rid of a few male Red Tops)
1 - Male Flavescent peacock (4") I had a female but i dont think she's going to make it. I was sick for a few days, woke up one morning all the fish are fine, then wake up a few hours later and the female was getting her bottom fins nipped by the little yellow lab and everys attitude towards her changed. So i quickly netted her, and got her into a 5 gallon hospital tank, added some aquarium salt, bumped the heat up to 82 and added a dose of Melafix. She made it through the day somehow so hopefully the worst is over.

Both tanks were on flakes but are now on cichlid crisps and cichlid sticks.

Any advice or future problems you see please tell me. Thanks.

Hi there welcome to the forum!

hate to be the bringer of bad news but you have some potential issues that i can see. First off do you know how big the venustus get? I have 2 of them in my 55g for now. They get to over 10" long each.

Also I think you have your new world and africans mixed together not a good thing but you know that already.

I think you might have better luck keeping the zebras together, although if they are mating size they will need plenty of females, i also just went through this issue this week.

You have alot of nice fish please post some pics. I'm sure you will get better input from someone else but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I also would recommend NLS food for your cichlids. Its the best one out there. :)

This picture is of the Tropheus, could use some help identifying it tho as Im not positive.

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 138
1st off welcome to the fourm. Looks like you got an excellent core of fish there. I see found the issue with the green terror, Yes Green Terrors are beauitful fish but really needs a new home. As far as the rest of your cichlids go. So you will here many different opinions. Its true not to ix cichlids from different lakes, also even though cichlids are from the same lake doesnt mean that can go together either. Mixing Mbuna and peacocks would be a no no peacocks would be lunch for the mbuna. I hear about people mixing Haps and Peacocks or Haps and Mbuna but the issue with that is they have differnet eating habits. That being said mixing even these fish there is no gaurntee that they will get along, So IMO it is best to keep each type of cichlid with their own type.

As far that that picture you posted its hard to tell what color it really is Dark Blue with Black stripes ?

The jewels and the green terror need to go. The jewels are african river cichlids and have a completely different set of requirements... as do green terrors which are somewhere in the sa, ca, or nw category. I'd say you can make everything else work for now. The haps really need a 6' tank though, as Carey said, they'll get very large.

The fish in the picture is a has a darker blue head fading to a light blue at the tail. Its got blue vertical stripes with a kindof shiney forehead.

I realize the venustus' get very large but there is still lots of room in my tank, I'm going to be moving them into a larger aquarium but for now i don't need to. As far as the jewels go I was unaware that they were from rivers. By different requirements do you mean different currents, filtration, food, ph etc?

What do you mean by green terrors are in the sa, ca, or sw category

The jewels have different diets and aggression levels than the rift lake cichlids. They just really don't belong together.

As far as the green terrors, I always forget what classification they fall under. I'm pretty sure they're central american (ca) though.

Ok I recently did a very large upgrade. Taken me a few weeks but I'm finally done and happy with my finished product. I was able to find a 130 gallon tank with stand for $150. Got a eheim 2217 canister filter for $100, added a new ac110, a new fluval digital heater and another cheaper heater.
Had the tank up and running for 2 weeks before adding any fish.

Took forever to catch all my fish and slowly transfer them from my 90 gallon to their new home.

Now about te green terror and the jewels. The green terror has got to go lol I know shoulda listened lol but he's my favourite other then my dominant red top. He's just a bully to any fish especually the jewel, going to regime the green terror soon and start thinking about revoking the jewels. Other then that everything is amazing, loving the new tank and so are my fish. Recently started feeding them only nls food and they love it, brings out amazing colouring.

I'll post pictures tonight of my old set up an the new tank

First picture is of the 90 gallon, can't find a good picture. Second photo is of the new tank, much better and brighter looking IMO.

Attachments

• image-3769351569.jpg
    image-3769351569.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2245680579.jpg
    image-2245680579.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 114
All fish are in living in a 130 gallon tank now. I've rehomed the two neon jewels, the greenterror, the dominant venustus ( mean smaller one got rehomed, kept 7" male, 4 females 4-6" and less dominant 5" male) and the fancy zebra mix.

Now the tanks homes:
6 venustus ( one 7" male, one 5" male and 4 (4-6") females.

5 red tops (2 smaller ones about 3", 3 larger ones 4-5")

2 yellow fin acei's (2-4")

3" yellow lab

1 tropheus (4")

1 bumblebee (4")

1 flavescent peacock (male 5")

1 maingano (4")

Photos coming soon need to take new pictures to get the new slate decorations.

First photo is of the whole tank, lots of stacked slate on the left side of tank built on top of crushed shells.

Second photo is of the right end of the tank. Small stacks of slate with a large skinny piece burried to the glass to keep the shells on the left side. On the right side of the barrier I've added cichlid sand.

Third picture is of the left end of the tank, just a different angle of the stacked slate.

Fourth photo just a picture of whole tank.

Attachments

• image-1986897508.jpg
    image-1986897508.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image-365871862.jpg
    image-365871862.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3731888650.jpg
    image-3731888650.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3769445066.jpg
    image-3769445066.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 81
Arborist131 said:
First photo is of the whole tank, lots of stacked slate on the left side of tank built on top of crushed shells.

Second photo is of the right end of the tank. Small stacks of slate with a large skinny piece burried to the glass to keep the shells on the left side. On the right side of the barrier I've added cichlid sand.

Third picture is of the left end of the tank, just a different angle of the stacked slate.

Fourth photo just a picture of whole tank.

Attachments switched order while uploading or something. Third and second photos are in the wrong order

Back
Top Bottom