Looking for some tank mates for my cichlid aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DinoManDraves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.:D I have a 55 gallon aquarium, currently housing 2 Honduran Red Points, 2 Firemouth cichlids, and a bristlenose Pleco.

As far as the territorial aggression of the cichlids, the only real problem is the male firemouth. The female firemouth lets the HDRs within several inches of her without any problems, but the male chases them away from his territory. The HDRs are beginning to stay close together. The pleco, obliviously like all plecos, doesn't care about the cichlids, and the cichlids do not care about him. The cicichlids are not full-grown yet, though.

My filter for this set-up is an emperor-400 power filter.

I was wondering what might be some suitable tank-mates for my aquarium. Here are some ideas that I had (I wouldn't add all of these obliviously, I'm just throwing out ideas)-

1. T-bar/Saija cichlid
2. Clown loaches
3. Tiger Botia
4. Another pleco
5. Synodontis petricola (They are $15 a piece, and they need a shoal, so they are kind of out of my price range. I might consider getting them later though. I love the look of them, and apparently, they are fine with cichlids)
6. Panda Garra
7. A species of fish that would work as a target/dither fish (I was thinking some species of larger tetra, or giant danios)

That's all I can think off. If one of these fish would not work, please tell me. If you could also think of any more tank-mates, that would very appreciated. Thanks a lot for your help

I think you would be overstocked. I am not sure how big your cichlids will get, but 55 doesnt sound like there is too much room left. I am not sure though, I am not a cichlid expert. Just what I am thinking.

also clown loaches would get too big. I don't know much about the rest or about the species you have, so hopefully someone else can come in and help.

You don't need a shoal of petricolas...I have 2 and they are extremly happy in my african tank. But they may not be ideal for a tank with South Americans. Your firemouths will get very territorial if they breed and may need to be split from the others.

Giant danios may be an option, but I am not as familiar with firemouths and other S.A.s as others here...

Back
Top Bottom