Looking to revamp my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm up and my mind is going a mile a minute. I have bad OCD and was thinking. I really want your input.

I was thinking of re-homing my convicts for many reasons. One being that I the Africans an the colors. Also I didn't realize the whole breeding thing with convicts. They were given to me by a friend.

Anyway. I was thinking of going with all SA cichlids and getting a nice variety of colors my buddy at the LFS has many many to choose from and he said with my 55 I can add a good amount, more then my 6 convicts and there would be more activity and it would me more colorful. But this is my tank set up. Will this work?

I really take pride in my tank and worked hard on it. So what do you think? I can do it tomorrow he has many to choose from.

Also how many can I add to a 55. I'm told that I can over stock just a bit to cut back on aggression.

Your thoughts. He'll take the convicts.

View attachment 60664

View attachment 60665

View attachment 60666

View attachment 60667

View attachment 60668

View attachment 60669

View attachment 60670

View attachment 60671

View attachment 60673

I tried to give enough hiding places as well as tunnels and caves to allow swimming freedom with some nice hiding spots.

Last edited:
I have had SA's for several years now. Your tank looks great. The set up is perfect for them. I have a 55 gallon also and have 10 fish in mine. They don't fight but they do breed like rabbits!

ljssgg said:
I have had SA's for several years now. Your tank looks great. The set up is perfect for them. I have a 55 gallon also and have 10 fish in mine. They don't fight but they do breed like rabbits!

Yeah I'm thinking I may do SA my friend just came over one day and have these convicts. I love them and have nothing against them it's just that every time I go to my buddy's fs I fall more and more in love with the SA and there colors!

If I can do 10 I could really have a colorful tank!

I'm also glad my tank is good for the SA I was afraid I was going to have to take it all down and do just rocks like some other tanks I've seen. I was hoping the tank would be ok. I think I'm doing today. I'll grab a few today then some more maybe tomorrow? Or should I wait longer or can they introduced all together meaning same day? There all in the same tank the the LFS so what's the best way?

I'm terribly sorry about your OCD, I know its an oppressive and life changing disease. Those that struggle with it are truly some of the bravest humans I know. Good luck with your revamp!

uh.oh... said:
I'm terribly sorry about your OCD, I know its an oppressive and life changing disease. Those that struggle with it are truly some of the bravest humans I know. Good luck with your revamp!

Why thank you! It really is an your right as I'm a fire chief and have been a firefighter for many many years. And thank you for the good luck wishes. I hope it goes well also.

I have done it both ways. If you decide to get some now and some later keep in mind that they establish "territory" and you may have to re arrange ur tank again to break up the constant fighting. Don't be surprised if they dig big holes in the gravel. Best of luck!

ljssgg said:
I have done it both ways. If you decide to get some now and some later keep in mind that they establish "territory" and you may have to re arrange ur tank again to break up the constant fighting. Don't be surprised if they dig big holes in the gravel. Best of luck!

Thank you! I have just rearrange the tank a little. And also re-homed the convicts back to my friend. So it's ready for some SA.

Here's a few shots of what did. Minor things but again I have BAD OCD.

View attachment 60734

View attachment 60735

View attachment 60738

View attachment 60739

View attachment 60741

View attachment 60742

Hope they like there new home.

Last edited:
Good looking tank. Try not to disturb them if possible. They will do some rearranging themselves.

Confused, you started out talking about Africans and their colors, then switched the discussion to SA (South American), so which way are you going?

Wy Renegade said:
Confused, you started out talking about Africans and their colors, then switched the discussion to SA (South American), so which way are you going?

That was an error on my part. Sorry. It's Africans. Sorry for the confusion.

Then youd be good for mbuna.There are some very colourful one`s out there and they are full of personality.They never stop swimming all over the place.
I would suggest red zebras,cobalt blue zebras,yellow labs,Albino zebras.You could get maybe 20 in there and have a good male to female mix.

DOOO IT!!!! Come to the dark side :)

I've fallen for my Kenyi's & Labs they're the most active little guys I've had.
just remember if you're doing Mbuna, go pretty overstocked at first and then rehome them to fix agression & the male to female ratio as they mature. You're gonna want 3-4 female per male and with some of the species the females are less colorful(not the case with Kenyi & yellow Labs)

I don't know if you can go all male with Mbuna somebody else will have to chime in.

You could go all male but you would probably have to go for all different colours as some mbuna will attack other males of similar colour.
I would describe many mbuna as little pitbulls of the fish world lol

I'm gonna DO IT!!!! Stay tune for pictures!!!

Oh yeah!! Here we go!!!

One question, I read up that pH needs to be like 8 or higher? And what temp is good? I raised my heater to bring it to 78 read that was better then 76.

As long as your ph is constant the fish will be fine within reason.different fish live in different ph levels even to the point that there is a slight variation in different parts of lake malawi.As for the temp 78 is perfect mine is a constant 78 and my fish are breeding and healthy.

garfy said:
As long as your ph is constant the fish will be fine within reason.different fish live in different ph levels even to the point that there is a slight variation in different parts of lake malawi.As for the temp 78 is perfect mine is a constant 78 and my fish are breeding and healthy.

That's good to know about the temp. My pH as I just tested it is 7.2 is that good enough? I know they sell stuff to alter pH levels but I try to stay away from as many chemicals as possible. But if I need it to make pH 7.6 or higher then I'll do it for the health of the fish.

EDIT: my pH has been very stable at 7.0-7.2 too close to call using the API chart, I've even had my wide look and she's like are they kidding me?! How are you suppose to tell the difference there so close.

Back
Top Bottom