Lophiobagrus cyclurus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freakgecko91

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I'm not normally an African cichlid kinda guy, but Tanganyikans hold a certain place in my heart. Just picked these up because I didn't want the usual synodontis cats. These little guys are Lophiobagrus cyclurus, also known as dwarf tanganyikan bullhead catfish. Like their name suggests, these guys are from Lake Tanganyikan, and are also quite small, maxing out at just 4". I have four of them in hopes of getting a pair. I've since added them to the tank and have barely seen them since lol they love to hide unfortunately

image-2618454251.jpg

image-2184328077.jpg

image-3106941280.jpg

image-554629203.jpg

image-2556905201.jpg

Glasses for reference
image-290346985.jpg

Lights went off and these guys are all over the place! When I shine a flashlight on them, the all quickly hide in the shells meant for my Multies, I have a feeling a lot of fry are gonna end up missing lol oh well

Who brings fish in the bathroom?

Obviously me! I have a bathroom right outside my room, so whenever I get new fish, I empty the bag out over my sink, with a net catching the fish, I put them in a specimen container to get better pics lol

Well bathroom boy how much do they cost? I've never heard of them until I googled the name, can they sting like our common bulls? What about the shellies?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Lol I got them for $7 each (normally $8 ) because I have an awesome LFS.

I'm super nervous about that, but I've been told they'll work. These guys are pretty small, but I think they'll steal fry when given the chance, but all the fry hide way up in the shells at night so fingers crossed

I was holding them, so I don't think they sting, although they MAY release a mild toxin when stressed, much like saltwater box fish, or even how Cory cats are rumored to.

The owner of my LFS has 2 pairs of adults and knows someone breeding them, which is where these guys came from. I believe they are f1 but need to talk to him more to find out

How about the poison it secretes in its mucus when stressed? Boy these things sound like rays of sunshine on a cloudy day! A carnivorous poisonous bullhead.

Lol it's unknow if it truly does it, just something I was reading lol I really want a synodontis brichardi (but they're from the Congo), however $60 is a lot to drop

These guys are sweet! SUPER active at night, exploring every inch of the aquarium, and its nearly 2 ft deep! They go from floor to surface, and side to side. I see their shadows dart back and forth as I watch the tank from my bed (tank is in my room)

But it also says they're most likely mouth brooders, where as everything I have read says they are not, typically cave spawners. The few things out there about the, bring up the toxic mucus, but most say it is yet to be proven or disproven

It seems what little info there is about them is contradicting and vague at best :/

Hey Gecko, how big did those guys get? and do you still have them?

These get at max 4" and yes I still have mine. One was killed in a scuffle with a bristlenose pleco, but my LFS (i know the owners well) back in michigan gave me two young ones to grow out and replace it.

Haha nice, I was thinking of putting one of those guys with a colony of similis, but I can't find these guys anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Haha nice, I was thinking of putting one of those guys with a colony of similis, but I can't find these guys anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They're not very common really, just a black catfish really and most people aren't attracted to buying them. I love mine, but don't buy these if you want to see them. They're completely nocturnal and come out only at feeding during the day really

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom