lowering PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumbuff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I wish to alter the PH value of my tank so that I can keep Blue ram Cichlids. My PH value at the moment is 7.0. I have read about Sera Super peat which sounds like it would be a good buy, my question is how much do you use, where do you put it and how often do you have to add the peat to keep the water at that value. Also is a Ph of about 6.5 about right for these kind of fish.

Regards

Aquarium Buff

Rams and tetras will do quite well in a pH of 7.0. The pH stability is more important than the actual value. We need to know the KH before you try changing the value. It's KH that buffers the water and prevents pH swings.

I keep various SA cichlids in 7.0 with no worries at all. I also have a kh of @ 2/3dkh (depends on time of day) which is basically no buffer at all. If you are in the same situation, you will do very well.

BTW, Fishyfanatic is the exception to the rule. Imagine SA cichlids thriving in liquid rock. :)

lol JChillin is the one to blame for me keeping the Rams in my limestone infested water. He just had to rave and show off pictures of his fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom