Lucky pick up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V227

Aquarium Advice Addict
My local Petco got a shipment of juvenile Jack Dempsey cichlids, marked to sell for about $3
a peice. I've raised Jack's before and really wasn't interested in buying one, but just had
To look. Upon viewing I saw the unmistakable Irridecent sheen of two Electric Blue Jacks included in the mix. In the adjacent tank, mixed in with a group of juvenile African cichlids was
A baby Flowerhorn Cichlid. The sales clerk was very nice, took her time, and was able to net all three noted fish for me. I got the entire group for $10 bucks.
In my area EBJD' s Usually sell for $35 - $40. Juvenile Flowerhorns are typically $25 - $35. Not a bad score.
Pictured in the net: top fish "Flowerhorn", bottom two,"EBJD's".
Pictured: Both EBJD's

Attachments

• 20171128_141049.jpg
    20171128_141049.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 20171129_144410.jpg
    20171129_144410.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 109
That is awesome. I am more into the dwarves but that jack does make me look twice

It will be cool to see them grow. One of my favorite parts of fish keeping.
Nice score for sure...

Thanks guys. I've raised two EBJD's. One big male lasted 5 yrs. I still have one 6 y.o. female. They are a lot more fragile than regular Jacks and not nearly as aggressive. All three look like they have a touch of Ick, and I'm treating them. Keeping my fingers crossed.

How big were yours when they finished growing. I like the bigger fish. For me, it’s about tank size. I would love to go big with frontosa, or Severums, or centrals

The male EBJD, was 9" and the female is 6". The new baby Jack is 3/4 of an inch. I like the Centrals the best, Salvinis, Texas and Firemouths. I even like the Midas / Red Devils, but I think Maybe too much to handle.

Salvini is another fish I might just go for one of these days. Stunning color and not too big

Might have just found my best of all time lucky pick up. While visiting my favorite LFS today I was looking over the new shipment of Silver Dollar fish. Included in the mix were 10 Tiger Stripes, Mytennis Fasciatus ! The last time I saw tiger stripes in my area they were selling for about $45 each. The rest of the silver dollar types were the typical varieties, Spotted, Maculatus, and the standard. All the Silver Dollars were priced the same, a little over $6. They were all a little beat up, but I bought five Tiger Stripes. Somebody really goofed up at the LFS.
Lol. Sorry for the poor quality nite light photo. I just acclimated them.

Attachments

• 20171208_173731.jpg
    20171208_173731.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 85
Thanks Bandit. I probably should have bought all the Tiger Stripes, but my wife was with me. Hard to convince her of what a great deal I had found.

Two days after getting my Tiger Stripe Silver Dollars I noticed a little Ick on their fins. Treated them and now they are all cured. See photo. I went back to the LFS, which is a small local chain, hoping to get a couple more Tiger Stripes at the noted low price. Upon viewing, the few remaining Tiger Stripes as well as a dozen expensive Electric Blue Jack Dempseys were severely infested with Ick, and were obviously being medicated. Please dont think I've lost my mind but I'm thinking about offering $2 a peice for two more and treating them myself. Don't see many M. Fasciatus around my area and when they are available, extremely expensive. These are really awesome fish and if it were any other disease besides Ick I wouldn't even consider buying more.

Attachments

• 20171217_113308.jpg
    20171217_113308.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 74
Just have a separate tank for them and do it..
Once you know how to treat fish it seems a shame to let them die at the LFS...
I know they try but often do not do well.

I have a tank already up and running Bandit. From this point forward I'm going to dose all new fish in the QT tank. A new strategy after 30 yrs. Of fish keeping.

Just moving the fish to healthy tank is major and reliable method.
The 'transfer ' method is one of 3 ways to cure marine ich which is 12X worse !
By placing fish in new clean tank all the ichs that have already fallen off are taken out of play...
I love my rid ich plus [I have the 1 gallon jug ]! Haven't needed it in years but then all of a sudden I do and it worked like a charm....

I think I'm a little gun shy. I hadnt used meds in years either until a hopefully once in a life time Oodinium outbreak occured. As you well know Velvet is much more deadly than Ick, and copper is the most effective treatment. I used Coppersafe, because it's more stable than Cupramine. It cleared the Ick from the Tiger Stripes within a few days. Of course I have no plants or inverts to deal with. I'll remember Rid Ick Plus. Copper is a real pain to remove. I agree that a transfer to a clean non medicated QT tank is a viable remedy for an Ick infection and should be considered a primary course of action. The noted Infected Tigers at th LFS have it fairly bad. In this case meds are probably the only way, and only if a discounted price can be negociated.

nice score. I picked up a 3" Flowerhorn the other day at a price I wont tell lol. I had no intention of buying it but when I seen the price it was a no brainer.

Tuna,
Bandit told me about your big score a day or two ago. LOL. Coincidently, I picked up a 1" Kamfa for $5 at petco. The little guy was accidently mixed in with a tank of Mbuna. I've been killing it lately with lucky pick ups.
If you get a chance, check out my "Red Texas or Flowerhorn" thread. Picked up that guy at Petsmart, swimming in a tank full of Jack Dempseys. Got him for cheap. Bandit is leaning Flowerhorn, I'm 90% sure Red Texas. I'd like your opinion.
Be sure to post pics of your FH' s when you can.

I went back to My LFS to check on the remaining Tiger Stripe Silver Dollars and learned that all but one had died. The remaining one was hopelessly covered with Ick, and not likely to survive. I should have bought more when I had the chance. The manager explained that he was medicating with half doses of a standard Ick med, antibiotic and a fungus med. His boss only allowed half doses. No copper meds due to the presence of inverts. What a mess.
According to the managers of every LFS I frequent, in the two neighboring towns, they are running some type of med in their tanks. The one exception was Petco, no meds used.
My guess is online direct purchases from breeders is going to be the only way to go.

I've been concentrating on getting back to the basics, purchasing often overlooked species such as Firemouth Cichlids, Black Skirts and Red Eye Tetras. Not hot topic fish on AA. The tetras were a buck each, the Firemouths 2.50 each. IMO, lucky pickups.

Attachments

• 20180104_113617.jpg
    20180104_113617.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20180104_122911.jpg
    20180104_122911.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom