Maingano surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_Forbz

Aquarium Advice Activist
i had the fun experience today of attempting to remove rocks from my little maingano's (grumpy's) mouth. it was a very different experience,

after noticing for a few days that he hadn't been eating, i decided to take a look in his mouth, from reading in books that a major problem with mouthbrooding cichlids is they have the tendancy to get rocks stuck in their mouths.

whilst netting him and peeking in his mouth i noticed 3 small rocks blocking his throat. of course before touching him i had my hands wet with the tankwater, and some tweezers , my dad, a torch , and a toothpick.

i am happy to announce that we got 2 of the 3 rocks out. :) hopefully he spits the other out, sadly he was getting over stressed and we had to get him back in the water as quick as possible. tomorrows checkup should tell me whether the other is out or not :)

tell you all what, its a very scary process, when his your first fish you bought, and had for a whole year.

heres hoping he comes to a full recovery, ill let you all know tomorrow after the checkup :)

And if you have a few of them, they should be able to breed and display a whole range of behaviours. She might have been holding gravel because she was getting broody.

Back
Top Bottom