Major Crisis averted...140G almost tragedy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I'm at work yesterday when I get a frantic call from my wife (in tears, even though she says she doesnt like all the fish tanks) saying that all the cichlids in my 140G tank are at the top of the water gasping for air. She said she didnt think one of the filters was working correctly. I told her to go in the garage and get a couple of air pumps and stones and stick them in the tank. I immediately left work and zoomed home. When I got there the Marineland HOB was not moving any water. I took it off the tank, rinsed it out and put new cartridges in it, checked the impeller and put it back on the tank. It started working! I also have 2 rena xp3's in the tank that were working fine. I don't use air stones in my tanks, so I think the combination of the HOB not moving the water and having glass covers on my tank to keep the rambunctious fish from jumping out caused no oxygen exchange to happen and all of the fish were suffocating. Once I got the filter working and the airstones were running a little while, all the fish are back to normal and I didn't lose even one. Too happy!!!! I will now always keep at least one airstone going in my tank at all times!

img_1140500_0_a7f9cbb772fb1946e376942e6277114a.jpg

Ya, that is a problem. In my tank i think i am gonna get a HOB filter and make a mini DIY sump with 2 airstones in it.

Back
Top Bottom