Make it stop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully by Christmas we will have bought a house and moved about 2 hours north around STL. :D Sorry. Plus, I won't let my cute little babies be put into anything less than a 55 gal tank.

So why not put the mom in that ten untill she releases then send her back home. You can then sell, give away or feed the babies to your family. And its not the size of the tank that matters!!

You can't sell babies when they are small fry. The fish store takes them when they are an inch to an inch and a half. Which is what I am doing. And I'm not going to just toss in fry as a snack to my other fish.

The size of the tank does matter when it comes to keeping these fish.

Fishyfanatic said:
When I first started keeping Africans I wished that they would someday breed. Well, now they are popping out every week. We have a batch of 29 cobalt fry in the 29 gal tank that are two weeks old. A mystery African just released 9 fry in the 10 gal tank tonight. And the cobalt is now holding more fry! How can I make it stop? We don't have enough room for these babies. The cobalt was evidently holding the fry for quite some time. As soon as we acclimated her into the QT, she released them and they were already blued in coloration and a decent size. The mystery African released them as she was in the bag being acclimated into the 10 gal. The fry are alot smaller and kind of transparent in color. Now the cobalt has the same large bulge in her mouth and I think it's fry, not eggs. For some reason we can't tell when she is holding eggs. It seems like we can only tell when they hatch to fry.

Is there any way to stop the breeding? The ones that we really want to breed are the Aceis or Labs but they aren't budging. It's kind of odd because there is one male and one female Cobalt. They are breeding like crazy. Yet we have 4 Acei's (3 F and 1 M) and they aren't doing ANYTHING. The labs are the same ratio. And zip, ziltch, zero, nothing. Can someone help?
Try selling the fry on fish-bay. I used to sell the guppies that the pet store couldn't take and sell them there. I'm sure that someone would want them.

They are still too small to sell. We are going to juggle them around between the tanks since we now have 66 fry. I have a store that is going to buy them from me, but they need to be of a decent size first. I'm promoting growth with baby brine shrimp, hoping they will grow faster. :D

Maybe when they get larger I may try an auction site. Thanks for the suggestion.

Welcome to AA!

Back
Top Bottom