Malawai Bloat - but other fish are fine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foshizzle11

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, we had one of our largest cichlids (unknown type, looked like a peacock but all black), die from bloat this morning.

Once we found he was sick we put it in the quarantine tank and he didn't last 24 hours. But the rest of the tank is fine. We did a couple water changes to help prevent the disease from spreading.

Anyway, all the other cichlids, clown loaches, catfish and crazy fish are all good, so good that our Demasoni cichlids have breed and one of the fry survived!

We couldn't believe that it lived. We have a pleco, 4 clown loaches and 2 pictus cats and none of them ate all the eggs.

Anyway, my question for you is why did this one die? It was definitely Bloat, tell tale signs.

We think it was its diet. We have crazy fish so we feed live minnows and we believe that this large cichlid was probably eating a bunch of them as well. Should we stop feeding live minnows and find something else the crazyfish will eat??

Our concern is that the larger crazy fish have eaten some of the smaller cichlids and if we don't buy live minnows they will continue to do so.

What are your recommendations?

So, we had one of our largest cichlids (unknown type, looked like a peacock but all black), die from bloat this morning.

Once we found he was sick we put it in the quarantine tank and he didn't last 24 hours. But the rest of the tank is fine. We did a couple water changes to help prevent the disease from spreading.

Anyway, all the other cichlids, clown loaches, catfish and crazy fish are all good, so good that our Demasoni cichlids have breed and one of the fry survived!

We couldn't believe that it lived. We have a pleco, 4 clown loaches and 2 pictus cats and none of them ate all the eggs.

Anyway, my question for you is why did this one die? It was definitely Bloat, tell tale signs.

We think it was its diet. We have crazy fish so we feed live minnows and we believe that this large cichlid was probably eating a bunch of them as well. Should we stop feeding live minnows and find something else the crazyfish will eat??

Our concern is that the larger crazy fish have eaten some of the smaller cichlids and if we don't buy live minnows they will continue to do so.

What are your recommendations?

Minnows are full of disease. Most Malawi are primarily herbivores and don't need them anyway. "Crazy fish"? I assume you mean crayfish. Yes they will eat anything they can grab.

Minnows are full of disease. Most Malawi are primarily herbivores and don't need them anyway. "Crazy fish"? I assume you mean crayfish. Yes they will eat anything they can grab.

Haha, nope. I mean Butis Butis Crazy Fish. Not crayfish.

Can the cichlids eating too much protein cause bloat?

From my understanding this is the case. They get veggie based pellets and have live plants so they have plenty of veggies to eat. They just love the chase when we try to feed the crazy fish the minnows or anything else that is protein filled like blood worms or krill for example.

They are a predatory fish and need high protein so maybe the only option is for them to have their own tank. Last resort! But don't want any more cichlids getting ill.

Haha, nope. I mean Butis Butis Crazy Fish. Not crayfish.

Can the cichlids eating too much protein cause bloat?

From my understanding this is the case. They get veggie based pellets and have live plants so they have plenty of veggies to eat. They just love the chase when we try to feed the crazy fish the minnows or anything else that is protein filled like blood worms or krill for example.

They are a predatory fish and need high protein so maybe the only option is for them to have their own tank. Last resort! But don't want any more cichlids getting ill.

Apologies, I had never heard of a crazy fish, now I have. Lol! Yes too much high protein food can cause Malawi bloat.

You can soak their pellet/flake food in epsom salt and some tank water in a container then feed them ... that will help them clean out their system.. its definately not recommended to feed alot of proteins as most malawi are herbivores they cant properly digest proteins .. just as the ones that are carnivores have a harder time digesting veggies and greens.. thats why it is recommended keep fish with the same digestive needs

Feeding NLS will help keep away bloat. I've started treating with Flagyl once a month even with no symptoms. I'ts 7 bucks for a 3 day treatment for my 125. Given the expense of my fish i think this is a good investment. I am concerned about your stock. Try and keep same fish of the same diet and lake together to maximize health and longevity.

Feeding NLS will help keep away bloat. I've started treating with Flagyl once a month even with no symptoms. I'ts 7 bucks for a 3 day treatment for my 125. Given the expense of my fish i think this is a good investment. I am concerned about your stock. Try and keep same fish of the same diet and lake together to maximize health and longevity.

Thanks for the insight. We have done the research and have had success so far and have adjusted the feeding to keep them all happy.

No more sick fish and a new diet for all.

Back
Top Bottom