Malawi Aulonocara Peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileymc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,

I'm back after a break from the forum. I have set up a new breeding project. I bought three 1" Lemon Jakes and three 1" Otter Points. I would love to raise these and have them pair off and breed. However, I am trouble for tank space.

My current situation is this:

55 Gal - Assorted Mbuna Cichlids
20 Long - Assorted Guppies
20 High - GloFish
20 High - Currently open and set up for raising the new Lemon Jakes and Otter Points
10 Gallon - Growing Fry tank
5.5 Gallon - Newborn fry tank

I am willing to give away the GloFish and turn that tank into a Cichlid fry grow out. Also, I Combine the newborn fry and other fry into the 5.5, putting the newborn in a container or something. What should I do about this plan? I do not have the space or the budget for another tank.

I want to breed the new peacocks when they mature and size up. I am just doing this for fun and maybe a few extra bucks from selling on Aquabid.com

What should I do about my stocking situation? Thanks!

An extra 40 breeder or something would really help. A 20 is really only enough for one breeding pair. Could the guppy 20 be repurposed for the Peacocks? The extra tank will help save many fry.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I really wish I had the money and space for another 40 Breeder Set Up.

Yeah I could move the guppies into a 20 high to allow the Peacocks own the 20 Long as well as an additional 20 High.

What do you mean by "save many fry"?

If you have more than a single pair of breeding Peacocks in a 20 you will lose some fry to aggression, even if same species. Larger fry will even cannibalize small fry if large enough. It's hard to have too many tanks for breeding fish but easy to not have enough.

For one pair of breeding Peacocks I want 3 tanks. One for the breeding pair (not including a rest tank for the female), one for immediate fry extraction(smallest stage) this can only hold fry at their smallest stage up to 1/4 inch, one for fry 1/4 to 1 inch, one for for fry surpassing the 1 inch and saleable range, further grow out could be necessary. There are strategies to get around needing quite as many tanks, (using dip and pours or paint strainers for fry) but regardless you need some form of strategy. This is is for one pair, multiply this by your number of pairs and keeping bloodlines separate. There are less involved ways, but you reap what you sew.

If you have more than a single pair of breeding Peacocks in a 20 you will lose some fry to aggression, even if same species. Larger fry will even cannibalize small fry if large enough. It's hard to have too many tanks for breeding fish but easy to not have enough.

For one pair of breeding Peacocks I want 3 tanks. One for the breeding pair (not including a rest tank for the female), one for immediate fry extraction(smallest stage) this can only hold fry at their smallest stage up to 1/4 inch, one for fry 1/4 to 1 inch, one for for fry surpassing the 1 inch and saleable range, further grow out could be necessary. There are strategies to get around needing quite as many tanks, (using dip and pours or paint strainers for fry) but regardless you need some form of strategy. This is is for one pair, multiply this by your number of pairs and keeping bloodlines separate. There are less involved ways, but you reap what you sew.

I very much so value the fantastic advice you have given me. That is kind of the strategy I have for my guppy breeding, but I'm not gonna breed them anymore. Just males now.

With that being said, I am raising six 1" Lemon Jakes / Otter Points. When they mature in a few months I will be able to see that the dominant male and female have paired off. That will be my breeding pair. I can breed them in the 20 Long, have a 10 gallon as the >.25 inch fry raising tank, and the .25 inch - 1 inch stages can be raised in the 20 high. I can provide a temporary wall in the 20 Long to allow the female rest.

Does this sound like a plan that could work well given my situation?

I very much so value the fantastic advice you have given me. That is kind of the strategy I have for my guppy breeding, but I'm not gonna breed them anymore. Just males now.

With that being said, I am raising six 1" Lemon Jakes / Otter Points. When they mature in a few months I will be able to see that the dominant male and female have paired off. That will be my breeding pair. I can breed them in the 20 Long, have a 10 gallon as the >.25 inch fry raising tank, and the .25 inch - 1 inch stages can be raised in the 20 high. I can provide a temporary wall in the 20 Long to allow the female rest.

Does this sound like a plan that could work well given my situation?

I think so, it sounds like you have the concept down. As an African keeper, do the hobby a favor, breed pure bloodlines, don't hybridize, use quality stock and you will be in good shape. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom