Malawi blue crab with Mbuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave9365

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone kept these guys together and with any success?
Only toying with the idea as think a crab would be a cool addition to my 55g African mbuna tank so any advice would be great

That's an interesting thought, if this would work for mbuna it would surely work for my peacocks, I also would love to know the answer to this

They look awesome. I've done a tiny bit of research in that they will sometimes pick off sleeping or injured fish at night or they themselves will be eaten when shedding their shell. Obvious stuff for keeping fish and crabs together. Just wanted some first hand advice. Oh and they are escape artists which again is pretty obvious

They get pretty big and can defiantly get fish. Either the crab will survive and eat your cichlids or your cichlids will eat your crab.

I had a nice blue crawfish once. Turned out he went on safari at night and got fish whilst they were sleeping. He went back to the LFS a much bigger dude... lol.
My only worry would be the crab would do the same.

I really don't like the idea of mixing crayfish or crabs with any other fish. It can really be risky

I had a Cray in my tank with mbuna and peacocks, he was fine. If I had a weak fish though, one that got bullied and on the verge of dying, would end up in the Crays claws somehow. I never saw him grab the fish, I don't know if the fish would rest on the bottom, to weak to swim fast, but my Cray got a couple weak fish.. I took her back, she was holding eggs, didn't feel like dealing with it

Back
Top Bottom