Malawi cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarcichlid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hiya guys My malawi cichlid is dashing a round the tank upside done and trying to jump out of the tank and it is dying i was just woundering if anyone knows why this is

If have to ask the same. Water parameters? Size tank? Stock? Maybe stressed by being picked on?

We need more info in order to help to you.

Hiya guy sorry for late replay my tank is 4 ft and i have two oscars and they just leave it alone i added a stingray in the tank and that died just after only had the stingray about 2 hours and my water con are fine so just didnt know what it was thanks

Oscarcichlid said:
Hiya guy sorry for late replay my tank is 4 ft and i have two oscars and they just leave it alone i added a stingray in the tank and that died just after only had the stingray about 2 hours and my water con are fine so just didnt know what it was thanks

Are your water conditions "fine" for SA Cichlids or African Cichlids? As they require different needs. As well as separate diets.

Yeah that have been in the tank together for over 3 months and as soon as i put this stingray in its went crazy and then they both died but they didnt attack each other

Wait I'm confused. You have 2 Oscars and Malawi Cichlids in your 4ft tank? And you also had a stingray?

if I'm not mistaken two oscars really need a 100+ gallon tank bit I could be wrong on that. A stingray needs a 200+ gallon tank. Plus a stongray and a Malawi cichlid is not a good match up it alone could have killed the stingray by stess.

1 Oscar really needs a 75 gallon so 2 would need bigger. 2 Oscars, Malawi Cichlid and a Stingray is just asking for trouble which I think you found out.

Sorry you lost fish but I don't think that tank is big enough for the stock you mentioned.

What type of filtration do you have.

Do you have a full tank shot?

Oscarcichlid said:
My oscar are 3 " and the sting ray was 6"

Tank is too small to house all those fish as you see they get pretty big.

Can upgrade the tank to a bigger size? What fish are left? The 2 Oscars? If so I wouldn't suggest adding anymore fish. The 2 Oscars and there heavy bio load is more then that tank can handle IMO.

Can we talk about your filtration? Why type of filter are you running? What are your water change schedules like?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom