Malawi cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are the best cichlids to get?
Pick a color and then read up an their compatibility. I have Blue Zebra's and a Red Top Zebra, Electric Yellow Labs, Blue Labs, White Labs and White Tail Acei. My tank is very colorful and they all get along fine.

The only ones that I will never ever get again are the Red Zebras. The few that I tried were all serial killers and I had to return them to the FS.

I have a 300 gallon tank at the moment but thinking about getting one smaller

WHY??????????????
I'd kill (almost) to be able to have a tank that size. My landlords would have a fit.
The endless things that can be done with a 300g tank, that you can't do with a smaller tank.
I'm :D with tank envy

With a 300g tank, you could almost pick any cichlid you want. But if this is not their permanent home as this will need to be decided to detemine what size/speices of fish to keep. This will deterime whether you'll end with mbuna, peacocks ,or a haps if a 6ft. tank will be used.

Last edited:
In a 300g tank, I'd have to go with frontosa. But, if you're considering downsizing, you'd still have tons of options if you kept it 75g or bigger.

All my plans ate destroyed, my nephew decided to throw his toy at the tank and now it's in 100 pieces :-(

All my plans ate destroyed, my nephew decided to throw his toy at the tank and now it's in 100 pieces :-(

OMG! I'm so sorry to hear about your tank and your dreams for it. It makes me feel sick just to think about it.
Any chance his parents will take responsibility for their son and replace your tank?

With a 300g tank, you could almost pick any cichlid you want. But if this is not their permanent home as this will need to be decided to detemine what size/speices of fish to keep. This will deterime whether you'll end with mbuna, peacocks ,or a haps if a 6ft. tank will be used.

****** Hukit everytime I see that profile pic of yours kinda give me the creeps, that is not you usually is it?

The only ones that I will never ever get again are the Red Zebras. The few that I tried were all serial killers and I had to return them to the FS.

haha, thats kinda funny (but also not funny to have fish killing each other)
you gave me a good laugh with the "serial killers" comment :)

i have 3x tangerine zebra's (1m/2f) and think theyre great, i love the really vibrant orange colour and the big black eyes :)

Do you have any pictures of the tank? Just because one pane is broken all hope is not lost, there are companies that build tanks and could easily replace one broken pane and reseal the tank. I know if I had a 300g there's no way I would scrap it due a broken piece of glass.

It's too late I finished it off last night with a hammer sadly but i got it for free ;-) so hopefully i can find a nice one soon :)

ha ha, that's kinda funny (but also not funny to have fish killing each other)
you gave me a good laugh with the "serial killers" comment :)

i have 3x tangerine zebra's (1m/2f) and think they're great, i love the really vibrant orange colour and the big black eyes :)

Glad I could make you laugh. I just can't think of a better name for them other than serial killer. The oldest RZ was absolutely ruthless about his killing. He killed 7 fish in 3 days.
I don't tolerate that kind of aggression if a fish starts to act like that it goes back to the FS asap.

After a bunch of picking and sending back I now have a peaceful tank of Mbunas. I have 1 6" male Red Top Zebra that is a pure joy
1 31/2" female Kenyi who had fry 4 days ago all are doing
great. Mom's back in the main tank& fry are
swimming
1 3" male Acei, white tail
2 3" female Acei White tail
1 3" male Electric Yellow Lab
1 3" female Electric Yellow lab
1 2" male White lab
1 3" female White lab
1 4" male Cobalt Blue Zebra
1 3" female Cobalt Blue Zebra
2 4" females of unknown origins, they both look like
female Peacocks of some kind. It's hard to tell
which one with out any distinctive markings or
colors.
approx. 20 1/16" or less 4 day old fry. the fry have their own tank
though.
But the others haven't had a single disagreement in months. Every since I got rid of the 3 RZ.

Back
Top Bottom